MNScuba.com
Ice (12/26 - 27) - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Ice (12/26 - 27) (/showthread.php?tid=4752)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - doug67 - 12-18-2009

Works for me Smile

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - arcFlash - 12-19-2009

Saturday is good for me as well.

I can do Knife lake. So with all the gear, do we want to think about 2 holes? If it isn't stupid cold we could do an open hole as well.

So how many are diving? Me, John, Nate, Doug. Terry, your in right! Carl? Dave T?

Time? I have a hour 45 to drive so I can do, 8am at the ramp.

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - Terry - 12-19-2009

I'm in, especially for Sat! I'll bring the heaters, and the cold beer!  :Smile I like Sat. if were headed that far north. I can bring my chainsaw but would need to get the oil out of it (as its got an automatic oiler), how about harnesses?    Terry

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - mermaid - 12-19-2009

...Anchor Island... ok, Its not too far for me!  [/quote]

I plan to help out as much as I can...Let me know where Knife Lake is.

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - DetectorGuy - 12-19-2009

I just changed out the bar oil in my saw to veggie oil. Veggie oil is thinner but it will save the planet Smile (you know... "take only pictures, leave only oil slicks") ;D I will bring an extra harness for someone if they need it.
Regards, Padi Ice Diver #0902059034

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - DetectorGuy - 12-19-2009

I was thinking that this group would be less depressed with ice diving at West Rush Lake instead of Knife Lake. At Knife Lake the max depth is 14'. The area where a bunch of anchors are supposed to be is in 7' or 8' of water. A lot of set up (with a lot of divers) to work in that shallow of water.
    West Rush holds a lot of possibility for anchors but no precise location is known. The depths are more conducive to a good time. The public launch is on the West side of West Rush and the address to the public ramp is 51365 Amber Ave (per my Lake Master chip in the GPS). The coordinates to the public access are: N45.41.520 W93.05.315. There is a 38' hole about straight East from there less than 2 tenths of a mile with coords of N45.41.547 W93.05.061 (this is just a hole and doesn't look like an anchor magnet) A different possible site might be off the East end of an island that is about 4 tenths of a mile East by North East from the public access. There is a nice drop-off here that according to the lake maps should be a 45 degree slope from zero feet down to 25'. The coords for the bottom of this slope are N45.41.620 W93.04.777. The third possible site would be on the south side of this same island. this contour drops fairly quickly but not 45 degrees. The coords for the bottom of this slope are N45.41.585 W93.04.937. If we had a hole at each of these last two sites they would be close enough to walk from one to the other, and still offer variety. The North half of this lake (and anything North of this island) are pretty shallow and mostly 15' or less. The south half of this lake averages 20' with a lot of interesting contours. I think this is the best solution for a group of divers but I am open to suggestions.

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - Shooter - 12-20-2009

when we ice dove west rush there was about 2' vis off cigar island......east rush had good visability.

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - arcFlash - 12-20-2009

DetectorGuy, You call it. With ice 8/10 inches I can open a hole with my hand saw in < 10 minutes. That is to say, we can open a bunch of holes at one time and dive the best sites. Shallow is fine with me.

Moving a setup doesn't take any time at all (unless you all bring too much stuff) If it's 20 out, you don't even need shack & heaters. Open the hole and anchor the lines, done.

Remember,
Pain is weakness leaving your body so everyone cowboy up. Smile

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - DetectorGuy - 12-20-2009

With Shooters reconnaissance, East Rush will work fine too. The better spots on East Rush will probably be on the South end. I was thinking if we were on the edge of 15' deep water or deeper we can stay just outside of most of the vegetation. This depth also keeps us in the sweet spot for anchors. This minimum depth of 15' at the hole would be a plus when divers enter & exit the water so the viz doesn't get all spun up right at the hole (6' diver + 12" of fins below that + "jet wash" from finning say 3' - ice thickness of 12" = about 10' minimum depth at the hole). This is just a thought.

So the Ramp at East Rush is on the NE corner of the lake. The address for the ramp is: 5221 Rush Lake Trail. The Coords for the ramp are: N45.42.329 W93.02.986.

The first possible site would be just off shore and a little South from the St. Johns Cemetery (about 1/4 mile South of the ramp). This is a nice 15' deep groove shaped like a backward "S". The Coords for the Northern end of this groove are N45.42.143 W93.03.029. The 15' deep groove continues toward the South from here about 1/4 mile until it opens up into a huge flat 15' deep moon scape. Lets call this first site "Groovy".

The second site is just less than 1 mile South of the ramp just off the East shoreline. There is a sunken island here that is 4' deep at the top and it has 10' deep water on the East of it and a 20' deep hole just to the SW of it. The coords of the center of the sunken island are N45.41.470 W93.02.858. The center of the island would be obviously too shallow but if we cut a hole SW of it... that would be good. We will call this second site "Sunken Island".

The third site is just a little more than a mile South of the ramp and it is a 24' deep hole that slopes up on the East side to shore, and slopes up on the West side to a 5' deep sandbar/submerged peninsula This tough shaped 20'-24' hole runs N/S and the coords of the North end of it are N45.41.228 W93.02.874. This site is at the mouth of a channel in the SE corner of the lake that eventually runs into Rush creek. There may be a slight current here that could effect ice thickness. We will call this site "The Trough".

Sites 2 and 3 are with in walking distance of each other and offer a possible "extra site" walking distance West of here (this would be on the West side of the submerged sandbar/peninsula. The SW end of a 15' deep finger would be interesting as the 45 degree slope from here going to the SE goes up to the sandbar on one side and goes up just slightly on the NW side of it. The coords to this fourth site are N45.41.261 W93.03.310. We will call this site "The Finger".

This is not set in stone but I am good with it. Let me know what you all think.

Re: Ice (12/26 - 27) - doug67 - 12-20-2009

Is Rush lake in Isanti co.? I cant find a lake map on the DNR web site.