MNScuba.com
Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III (/showthread.php?tid=5492)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - Shooter - 06-30-2011

these dates all seasons should be open including lobster  8)

gag grouper not open until 9-15. i propose leaving port(madeira beach) on the 14th return on the 18th or 19th

I can't count how many times a day, I close my eyes and am transported back to the Florida middlegrounds. I find myself standing on the Holy Spear-its dive platform listening to the steady drone of the diesel, waiting for it to idle down. The anticipation builds when it does idle down, now I know it will only be a few short moments unti I hear the horn. Is this going be the drop where I get the big one? I quickly do a final check of my gear and suck all off the air out of my BC. I hear the horn and leap off the platform like a stallion out of the gates at the Kentucky Derby. I have now lept into another world, a world where I am only a visitor. A world that is quiet and peaceful, void of all the noise and stress of the daily grind. A calmness accompanies the pressure as I settle myself down and control my breathing. Zero to 100 feet in less than a minute, I hit the brakes on my inflater coming to a perfect stop 30 to 40 feet off the bottom.  (Everytime I think of Tom Cruise on mission impossible when he is on the rope above the computer) I scan the terrain looking for structure and targets.....

Then the damn phone rings, and I have to go back to work....

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - bdahl57 - 07-01-2011

I am diving Monterey Bay September 7th thru the 11th  am not returning from California untill the 20th,  Wife joining me 15th thru 20th for family portion of trip.  Plane tickets purchased.  I'm in any other dates than the above mentioned.  Love the Grounds.

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - AandA - 07-02-2011

When does AJ and gag close. If the trip were leaving when Brian returned from SF he could likely be in... A week later would also work better for Scott, although he tells me he is in either way.
ME.....Holy Sprit, Captain Ben as pilot, and a cahnce at the MG ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  I'm in -dates be damned!

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - bdahl57 - 07-02-2011

I fly home September 20th & would gladly jump on a plane the next morning.  I am clear from the 21st thru the end of the month.  If the trip is in this time frame I am in!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - AandA - 07-05-2011

I’ve rechecked my work schedule……I am currently scheduled to work the weekend of September 24th and September 25th.  Vacation during those days is simply not an option for me.  IF the trip is postponed to include those dates I would have to secure a trade with one of the other supervisors to cover that time period.  If I was not able to secure a trade I would NOT be able to go on the trip…Translate this as - If the dates are going to change, to include the 24th and 25th, the sooner I could start trying to get a trade the better my chances would be of actually getting one and being able to go. 

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - Shooter - 07-05-2011

Left message today, waiting on capt. Ben.....mentally I'm already on the platform  8)

Johns in  ;D

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - DetectorGuy - 07-05-2011

Well I talked to Jody about the spearing trip and I'm. Doesn't matter what the dates are... I am going to try this spearing deal. My biggest fear is that I will be hooked on it and get spoiled. I am starting to download the fishkilla videos now.  Smile Smile Smile

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - bdahl57 - 07-08-2011

I'm sure Art can get the trade, its not a popular time of the year & he can offer premium summer weekends off to the lucky trader.  Now since the entire dive team is tenatively in all that is left is to figure out how to add our adventure in the training log.  LOL  We bring lots of bodies up from depth....does that count.

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - Shooter - 07-08-2011

getting you down there once was the first hurdle  ;D the rest should be fairly easy. Especially after you put together the [glow=red,2,300]master dive plan[/glow] that will really put some prizes on the table, table, table. Wink the above link should really get your wheels turning........ time for some "privateering." That will really be some shock & awe, but we probably shouldn't post pics until we are in our late 80s  ;D ;D ;D. I can't wait to quit my job and become a full-time treasure hunter!

still waiting to hear back from the captain on confirmation of dates...... and tentative vessel changes ???

Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing Tour III - DetectorGuy - 07-08-2011

That would sweet to find one coin even. I started to download the spearing videos but my company got wind of it, and clamped down on downloading them on my work computer. Roughly how many fish does a person spear per drop at say 130'? How many average sized fish fit on a stringer? do you ever bring down two stringers? I picked up two pair of Kevlar gloves but let me know If I should pick up any other "tools of the trade". All my dive knives are blunt tip or tanto tipped... Should I buy a pointy tip knife?