MNScuba.com
BP and WINGS or BC - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: BP and WINGS or BC (/showthread.php?tid=554)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - igotoofar - 05-13-2003

Fred, you really are working on coming over to the DARK side! Big Grin

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - LKunze - 05-13-2003

Fred, I would highly recommend a BP/Wing over a BC. Especially for you since you free dive and know what the ultimate in streamling is already. Wink The BP/Wing will keep you as streamlined as you can get for scuba as BC's have more drag in the water. Other benefits of the BP/Wing are the stability of the rig when adjusted properly and no tank shifting which I love.
Down here I know Scuba Dive&Travel rent BP/Wing setups. I'm not sure if anyone does up in your neck of the woods. As far as price goes they are pretty comparable to BC prices. You can buy a whole package or shop out the components separately (backplate, wing, harness and crotch strap.) I'd highly recommend hooking up with one of us on the board to try one out sometime. You can try mine out at the diving get together at your place in June. I'm planning on making it up for that provided nothing comes up between now and then. Smile

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - freedivernd - 05-13-2003

I'll have to see if they rent bp&w's around here. If not, I'll take you up on trying yours Lonnie. Prices comparable.. since I don't scuba much the price is a big factor.. I've seen some pretty reasonable bc's.. what's the price on a reasonable bp&w, all setup? I just don't come across them so often.
Fred

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - tcjtn0 - 05-13-2003

I was fortunate and got the b/p and the harness used. It works great and saved me some money. I bought the STA and the wing new...If you want , I can tell you what I paid for mine off-line...

Yea , no more BC Shimmy!!!

Jean Smile

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - Jason - 05-13-2003

Fred,

If i were you i would buy a cheap BCD and not worry about a BP/Wing. I would say yes buy a BP/Wing if you were going to start diving all the time and get out of free diving. From what i know of you and your love for free diving i don't see you crossing the line any time soon. Go cheap on the gear for now or it can put a burden on you pocket book once you start. Scuba shops are always running specials on rental gear. i know you can buy used BCD's for under $150 and nice regs for around $200. you already have the expouser suits. Later and good luck with the gear config.

Jason.

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - DRE - 05-13-2003

Fred,

call SD&T at (612)823-7210. They're selling off some rental BP/wing setups for very cheap. I think you can be setup for around $300 with an AL plate.

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - freedivernd - 05-13-2003

Jason, thanks for the input.. I'm already setup with regulators (2 sherwoods).. just short the bc and tank, then I'd be complete.
DRE, good idea but short on the $300 for more dive equipment just now... 'course... I've said that before.. as I ordered my 3rd or 4th wetsuit, 6th or 7th mask, 5th or 6th set of fins.... :Smile
Fred

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - scott - 05-14-2003

I currently have a BC and was thinking about buying the BP and wings. Everything I've read says the BP is better, but there must be some disadvantages to it. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why to not buy a BP.

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - DRE - 05-14-2003

If buying gear is tax deductible for you, I wouldn't buy a BP/wings setup, cause it's the last thing you'd ever buy. So stick with the BC's and buy the latest, newest and greatest every other month, and keep writing it off. Wink

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - LKunze - 05-14-2003

The only thing I can see is that it's a bit tricky to get out of the rig until you get used to it. Some people opt to put a quick release buckle on one shoulder of the harness to make it easier. I didn't find it necessary once I got used to getting out of the rig. Other than that I can't think of anything personally I find as being a "disadvantage" to using a BP/Wing. Smile