MNScuba.com
Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? (/showthread.php?tid=1009)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - JoelW - 09-10-2003

The minimum number of dives to get into the class is 25. After that few I can't believe anyone is proficient.

I guess the answer to the question would have to be what you expect to get out of the class. Last year for me it was to see where I stood relative to what they were teaching. From that standpoint I don't know that it matters what your skills are like. As far as them not being tolerant of our skill level, I didn't really see that as a problem. They were just pointing out where we were at. Seeing myself on video was the real eye-opener.

Given that the class is now a pass/fail with a card, I wonder if that was the best way to go. For me, taking the class for the skills development was worth the money, even without there being a c-card at the time.

JoelW

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - Derrick - 09-10-2003

It helps to be proficient in some of the skills, but not necassary. You will get more out of it. I think buoyancy and trim are the most important and the others fall into place easily enough after that. We are purposely scheduling the class June or later and annoucing early so those who are interested can practice the skills together and make the most of the class. There will be at least 3 students retaking the class who can help the others. It was the best scuba class I've taken.

Derrick

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - mixelpix - 09-10-2003

It helps to be proficient in some of the skills, but not necassary. You will get more out of it. I think buoyancy and trim are the most important and the others fall into place easily enough after that. We are purposely scheduling the class June or later and annoucing early so those who are interested can practice the skills together and make the most of the class. There will be at least 3 students retaking the class who can help the others. It was the best scuba class I've taken.

Derrick

[/quote]

I bet the class won't improve my spelling capabilities will it?

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - FMT - 09-12-2003

There used to be a blurb on the goo website (I don't know if there still is) that if you contributed XX number of thousands of dollars to the "nonprofit research arm" of GUE that you could get a private class from JJ.
For a list of skills typically covered you could look on fifthd.com or gue.com. They even had some videos of the skills (still working on the backwards myself).
T

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - DRE - 09-13-2003

What about asking David Sweetin and/or Tyler Moon to teach the class - that'll definitely get you the East coast perspective, and you'll get to dive with WKPP divers Wink

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - beeger - 09-15-2003

I would support getting the most experienced instructor we can find, regardless of east or west, or somewhere in between. But I agree with DRE, either of those guys would be really cool. And I think we should ask for JJ (what the hell ... it can't hurt to ask 8) ) maybe we could point out that since he spends so much time on either coast, or travelling internationally, it's time that he gives the Midwest some attention. Smile

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - Freedive WI - 09-15-2003

Deep Blue Adventures, in Milwaukee, is offering another DIR-F class next month. They ran one back in June and had so many people sign up that they decided to run another one this season. Andrew and MHK are running this one.

Check over on the WISCUBA.COM site for more info.

Jon

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - JoelW - 09-19-2003

I e-mailed Tyler Moon about coming up and doing a class. He was over in Fargo this summer doing a Tech 1 and 2 class so at least he has been up here. He indicated that he was interested. He was heading to Europe to teach some classes and said to contact him directly after he returns. I don't know if he would teach the class alone or bring another instructor along. If he does teach it, one cost is known, on his website the class cost is $300.00

For those interested, his website is

JoelW

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - FMT - 09-23-2003

I have heard good things about Tyler Moon.
I'm glad to see someone is following up on this.
Does that mean that you are "officially" in charge
of setting this up Joel? Not that I have a prob
with that, I just want to know who the lead person
is. I and my diving team of "usual suspects" Wink
are definitely interested.
T

Re:Anyone interested in a DIR-F class? - JoelW - 09-23-2003

I'll do it unless someone else is more motivated. I figured it would set up the same way the last one did.

At this point I take it that there are seven definitely interested

Derrick
Jason L
JoelW
FMT
Beeger
DRE
Jason B

and two interested depending on cost

Mix
Scott

I will make one statement about organizing this though. There need to be 4-6 committed before setting up the class officially as I am not going to carry any costs for it other than my share.

JoelW