MNScuba.com
condemned tank - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: condemned tank (/showthread.php?tid=1331)

Pages: 1 2 3

condemned tank - MNLakeDiver - 06-14-2004

I purchased a used tank (at a dive shop) last fall. I dove with it twice and only had it filled at the shop I bought if from. Never let if get below 800 psi. Brought it in for VIP and there was water in the tank and the tank was condemned. :'(
Any thoughts on recourse? It was current with VIP / hydro when I bought it and at a reputable dive shop so I did not ask for VIP when I bought it. The store has not offered anything in compensation for a tank that ended up costing me over a $100 per dive.
Should I expect more from a local diveshop? Should it be buyer beware. If so why buy local if there is no after sale support?
Just a small rant because of frustration but I would appreciate input from you.

Don’t bother asking the name of the shop I am not willing to give it out at this time.

Re:condemned tank - Inspirationdiver - 06-14-2004

Was the tank corroded as well, just having water in the tank is not sufficient to condemn it. Was it aluminum or steel? When was the original hydro/latest hydro? If you bought it from a reputable shop, in my opinion, they should stand behind it. Especially if all the fills were from them.

Re:condemned tank - MNLakeDiver - 06-14-2004

It was a steel tank. they sent it in to be tumbeled (sp) but it cameback as being pitted

Re:condemned tank - shamre - 06-14-2004

I agree. The shop should stand behind their product, unless they have something to hide that is.............

Re:condemned tank - igotoofar - 06-14-2004

I don't agree. You are asking the Dive Shop to make quite a leap of faith. They were the only shop that filled it, You never let the tank go below 800PSI.

I recently purchased a used tank from a local dive shop. They did a VIP before I took the tank. I wouldn't have wanted to take the tank without one. Once that inspection happend, the tank became my responsibility. If you didn't have a VIP done at the time of purchase, you don't know if the problem started before you had the tank or while it was in your care.

Working from the viewpoint, that the Dive Shop you are purchasing from, isn't trying to sell dangerous tanks. You have to assume that the tank was sold in good faith.

Now if you are using a local shop for other than just air fills and small items, I would think they would want to be more helpful in "working out a deal" to keep you happy and positve. But if not, I wouldn't expcet them to work very hard for your business.

IMHO

including equipment, classes, service,air, and rentals I have spent about $1000 there in the last year or so. I do like thrir instructors but have had some service isues in the past. I do go to a few different shops but they have gotten the lions share of my money in the past.
I have not had a chance to go in and talk personaly to the owner so please do not think I am tring to bad mouth them I was just seeing how others feel as I may be transfering some of my frustration from the situation onto the store.
I also admit I should have insisted on a vip at the time of the sale and do not think the store would sell a tank they knew to be unsafe.

Re:condemned tank - DiveCaptDean - 06-14-2004

Where did the tank come from..was it a rental tank or a tank on consignment? If it was a rental tank, i cant help but think that if you have been a good customer, that the owner of the shop will work with you..i would expect this from my LDC. If the tank was on consignment...i dont think they should be responsible for it. They should assist you in getting in touch with the previous owner..with luck, that person may choose to work with you. I would not expect this, and would not blame the shop in any way. You do need to stop in and talk with the owner....
GL
Deano

it was a rental tank.
it could have been flooded, bad fill while out on rental.
I am waiting untill I can go in at a nonpeak time to talk to the store as I don't want to cause a bigger problem by talking about it infront of other customers/students
(unless their unreasonable then it would be nice to have more potential customers arround Wink )

Re:condemned tank - willadams67 - 06-14-2004

sorry about your tank. I would think that the least they could do is give you a new tank at their cost. It really sucks being burned like that but I am sure the shop will do something. Let me know if they make it right for you.

Re:condemned tank - LKunze - 06-14-2004

Bummer man. Like igotoofar said, I would have definately had the shop do a VIP before I purchased the tank even if it were in current VIP as you mentioned it was. Technically speaking I kinda doubt the shop is liable for any compensation since a significant period of time has elapsed since the sale. That said, since you've done a fair amount of business with them it would be nice of them to give you a good deal on a new tank. Keep us updated.