MNScuba.com
Lake Wazee - June 22nd - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Lake Wazee - June 22nd (/showthread.php?tid=181)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - Chris - 06-05-2002

I thought Sherwood Forest would be cool (almost a must at Wazee), also the Wall and whatever else people want to do. We could meet at the entrance, there is a small parking lot there (where you pay to enter). Cost three weeks ago was $10.00 for the day (parking and scuba pass). If you are camping at Wazee, maybe plan on camping at Wazee South, it's directly across from the forest and there's a wall not too far from there either from what I recall. Fish cribs are directly out from the entrance as well.

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - tbrown - 06-05-2002

Sounds great. Is there a time everyone is planning on arriving? I'm looking forward to Sherwood, isn't there also an old road that leads to a wall?

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - hfrancois - 06-06-2002

This is probably a stupid question  :-[, but since I have never gone diving in the Midwest, I'm gonna ask it anyway. Does one need a drysuit for this dive?

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - tcjtn0 - 06-06-2002

Hazel:  Depends I guess on how you tolerate cold water.<br>I used a wet-suit in Superior and was warm as toast. However, being from North Dakota,<br>maybe I am cold acclimated.  I am sure the temp below the termoclines here would be similar<br>to Crosby.  Probably 45-55 Degrees?  Any help here?<br><br>Thanks...Jean<br>

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - lrmoll - 06-06-2002

A lot of people use nothing more than a 7 mil wetsuit all year round. Of course a dry suit will keep you warmer not only during the dive but during the surface intervals of repetitive dives. Less fatigue that way. At least so they tell me. I don't use a dry suit yet.

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - Chris - 06-06-2002

I'm one of a few people here that go the in-between route and use a semi-dry (or semi-wet, however you want to look at it). Works very well and I wasn't that cold in 42 degree water at 40 feet as long as I kept moving.

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - hfrancois - 06-06-2002

Thank you for the tip. I'm planning on going shopping for some gear sometime in the next week or so and I'll ask the people in the dive shop for some more advise on exposure suits. Then again, the cold will turn to numbness after some time so maybe I can handle the temp, right, Jean?   Wink

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - tcjtn0 - 06-11-2002

Yep...Some of us are numb all the time, so no problem!!!!<br>

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - jasondbaker - 06-11-2002

If you stay warm before the dive and between dives that will help you deal with the cold water.  Also, enter the water at the same time as your buddy.  You don't want to be sitting in the water for 15 minutes cooling down as you wait for your buddy.  Consider layering your exposure suit.  I wore a 2mm hoodless vest under my 7mm at crosby.  It seems to make the cold a little more tolerable -- especially between 60-90 feet.

Re: Lake Wazee - June 22nd - PeteG - 06-17-2002

Just an FYI for Wazee -<br><br>I dove this past weekend of the 15th at Wazee.<br><br>Anyhow, due to recent rains and there was quite a wind on Saturday, the vis was 20 feet max at the surface along the North side entrance.  Otherwise a good 30' vis was tops elsewhere.  All bouys are out on the platforms and the 75' platform is bouyed as well on the South side.  <br><br>Water temps in the North entrance lagoon were 66 degrees down to 20 +/- feet and very comfortable.  At 112' below the Sherwood forest, 39 degrees and actually, vis was probably 40 feet and decent light getting down there.<br><br>Fish were plenty, lots of sunnies, bass & there were a number of trout spotted as well.  <br><br>Pete<br><br>