MNScuba.com
Lake Mine - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Lake Mine (/showthread.php?tid=2169)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Lake Mine - flyboy65 - 06-14-2005

Planning on running up to Lake Mine this weekend.  Just wondering where to go, what to look for, access, etc.  I've never been there.  We'll probably hit Ore B Gone, also. 

How's the vis up there?  I'm assuming it's not too hot right now, but the weather is supposed to finally feel like summer.  (I'm in Duluth)

Re: Lake Mine - LKunze - 06-14-2005

From Gilbert take 135 East toward Biwabik and turn left at Giants Ridge and go up the hill.  Go just past Giants Ridge Golf Course and take a right onto the first gravel road and follow it to the lake access.
I would expect viz will be real good at Lake Mine.  Sounds like Rick said viz is running about 20 feet at Ore Be Gone.  From my experience Lake Mine is usually a little better.  I'll be heading up there in two weeks to camp and dive.

Re: Lake Mine - flyboy65 - 06-14-2005

So, is the boat access the only access?  any walls?  Depth? 

Re: Lake Mine - LKunze - 06-14-2005

Just before the boat access if you look to your right you'll see a little road (it's a kinda rough but not bad) that will get you to another access.  It's best to use that access if you want to get to the pillar and the submerged buildings.  If you find the buildings at around 50 feet and head down deeper from there you will encounter some walls and ledges that drop down pretty deep.

Re: Lake Mine - Maka - 06-14-2005

You can get pretty good depth right around the boat launch.  It is a fairly good surface swim to the pillar, and some chances for depth there as well.  Maybe you'll se some old Beatles records as well.

Re: Lake Mine - LKunze - 06-17-2005

What time are you guys going to be up there?  If I can't find a buddy for Saturday I might drive up there for the day tomorrow even though I'm heading up there next weekend too.

Re: Lake Mine - Dan_Solo - 06-17-2005

So, I'm looking at the satellite photos of this area and they are extremely detailed just east of Gilbert.  Here's a shot of 135 just out of town, can one of you drag the map so that Lake Mine is centered and send the list an updated link?

There are lots of unnamed bodies of water that you can see in the satellite view which are not visible in the map view.

How long of a drive is it up there?

Hey Dan, cool map.  That's Ore Be Gone in the map.  Lake Mine would be east of that between Aurora and Biwabik.  It's aproximately 185 miles to Gilbert from the twin cities.  You can get up there in about 3 hours flat maybe a little less than 3 hours. 
I couldn't figure out how to get Lake Mine to show up unshaded in the map.  ???

Re: Lake Mine - flyboy65 - 06-17-2005

We'll be up there early Sunday afternoon.  Driving a white minivan.

Shoot, I'll be heading up tomorrow instead.  Oh well...hope you guys have some good dives.  Wink