MNScuba.com
Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Cavern Diving Class Info.? (/showthread.php?tid=2319)

Pages: 1 2

Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Mark Y - 08-12-2005

I'll be in Florida October.  Interested in taking a Cavern Diver course.  Any recommendations???

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Bill M - 08-12-2005

I'm taking the Cave course in October with John P. Jones Scuba. .  He is one of the few that are IANTD CCR Cave Instructor certified.   He is out of Lake City, Flordia. I've talked to him a couple of times an he seems like a good guy.

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - LRRP02 - 08-12-2005

Check with Wes Skiles. He is pretty much the one they call when it comes to cave exploration and recovery. I am not spelling this right but it would be Karask Divers named after the rock that forms the caves they are located in Ginny Springs

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - jleech - 08-12-2005

Bill Rennaker with Cave Excursions () is out of Mayo, FL near Peacock Springs.  He's a laid back Florida good ol' boy, but very active with NSS/CDS & I liked him as an instructor.

Jeff Leech

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Mark Y - 08-12-2005

So far I've only time for the Cavern course, no cave penetration at this time.  As for whether or not on OC or CCR, doesn't matter to me.  Most likely OC unless there are some really deep caverns to explore.

I'll continue to dig around but would welcome any recommendations, comments, etc.

Thanks ~  ;D

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - ScubaAl - 08-12-2005

Tyler Moon

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Mark Y - 09-07-2005

Thanks for the contacts.  I've sent out a few inquiry emails.

Question: do you have to go through 'Ginnie Springs Outdoors' to dive Ginnie Springs?  From the website it appears they hold the key.  Is this so?  If it is, I assume you can receive training there as long as you pay the entrance fee.  They also offer 'independant instructors' on their website.  Any experience with them?

Thanks.

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Mark Y - 09-07-2005

When in Oct. are you're classes?

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Kirk - 09-07-2005

I took my cavern and cave classes with Larry Green.  He was great.  Rich Dreher also teaches cavern, and as of last year co-taught cave classes with Larry.  Rich owns Scuba Dive and Travel on the southside, though don't know if he will be in North Florida by October.

Yes, Ginnie Springs Outdoors owns the land around Ginnie Springs.  They don't, however, own the springs.  That is public property, it's really an extension of the river.  You either have to pay them the $20 or so to use their access, or bring your own boat.   

Re: Cavern Diving Class Info.? - Bill M - 09-08-2005

October 24