MNScuba.com
diving harness - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: diving harness (/showthread.php?tid=2792)

Pages: 1 2

diving harness - new_dharma - 06-15-2006

Information needed please.
i'm looking to upgrade to a diving harness from my old BC.  is DiveRite the maker of these things?  All the Intrenet searches I do only list their (DiveRite) TransPlate or their Deluxe Harness.  The reason is the attachment points (D-rings) and the variations in tanks.  Opinions---pros/cons---other makers (with web-site)...
help!

Re: diving harness - LKunze - 06-15-2006

DiveRite and Halcyon are a couple of good vendors to look at for Backplate/Wing BC's.  I use a Halcyon SS backplate/harness/wing.  I prefer the simplicity of the one piece webbing harness.  I'd recommend trying both types of harnesses out and deciding for yourself which one you like best.  As far as D-rings go you really only "need" three rings.  One on each shoulder and one on the left hip.  One of my favorite quotes from Jason is "The Christmas Tree look is out" (meaning too many D-rings and danglies on your rig) If diving locally you probably want a steel plate so that you don't have to carry so much weight on your belt.  As far as wings go, if you are diving a single tank locally you shouldn't get a wing with any more than 40 lbs. of lift.  Wings that are too large end up wrapping around the tank producing the "taco" effect.  This will cause more drag.  Properly setup, diving a backplate/wing is more stable, has better trim and is more streamlined than any other recreational BC will be.

Re: diving harness - Corndogg - 06-16-2006

I've got one I could sell you.  OMS Stainless PLate, Harness with quick release buckle.

Re: diving harness - beeger - 06-16-2006

Like Lonnie I use and really like the Halcyon setup. I agree with his comments. Below are some links to diving companies that manufacture/supply their "own" backplate/wing/harness type setups. This will help you get a feel for what is available. Personally I don't like a lot of the setups you will see below. But I'm providing these links to help you learn a bit more about what is available. Feel free to post again with specific questions:

Apeks:    -or-   

There are others I'm forgetting or don't even know about. Some companies like Salvo Diving () have a mix between Salvo components and other manufacturer's wings, etc..

Suggestion: try to buy a brand that you are comfortable with but is also supported by a local dive shop of your choosing.

Re: diving harness - new_dharma - 06-16-2006

Thanks for the links...I'll check these out, and if any questions come up I'll ask.
Thanks again!

Andy

Re: diving harness - JoeKScuba - 08-26-2006

Has anyone tried the OMS system with the retractor bands? I'm curious how versitile it is between single and double tanks and also what you think of them?

Re: diving harness - corndogg2 - 08-27-2006

Some guys say the bladders with the bands trap air and can be hazardous.  I've never used one but I'd like to.  Backplate and harness setups are typically used with double tanks but can be used with single if you have a single tank adapter.  When you dive a plate with a single tank the bladder tends to float up and wrap around the tank which looks kinda stupid but presents no real problem.  I dive a 60lb single bladder with steel 95s and 108s, two al 80 stages and all of the other crap and have plenty of lift with a drysuit.  I also have a 100lb dual bladder wing for diving the ocean in a wetsuit.  I like to have redundant bouyancy but this wing is massive.  The bands would be nice to keep that one under control. The harness with the quickrelease buckle is nice if your not flexible and out of shape.  DIR divers say it is another possible failure point which is true.  Real men use a one piece harness, no buckle and typically a steel backplate in coldwater.  The harness is very comfortable and very clean.  When you get into serious diving you want to be streamlined, have tough reliable gear that can be dropped and kicked around, and have things  as simplified as possible.  The fewer bells and whistles the better, just more stuff to get in your way, break, snag, and distract you.

Re: diving harness - LKunze - 08-27-2006

I agree with a lot of what corndogg2 said.  In my opinion it's best to get two wings if you are going to dive both singles and doubles.  One size does not fit all.  It may cost more but you'll be more streamlined by using the right size wing for job.  If I dive singles I dive a 36lb. wing.  If I dive my double 85's I dive a 40lb. wing.  I personally prefer the donut shaped wings over the the horseshoe style wings.  They do not trap air from side to side like horseshoe's do.  I use the Halcyon Pioneer wing for singles and the Halcyon Evolve wing for doubles. 

Re: diving harness - Mr.Pitbull - 08-27-2006

The quick release buckle is the most important feature of the harness setup. It is almost a necessity for anyone of size or with large shoulders. It has nothing to do with being out of shape. Imagine the "big guy, little coat" scenario. Put on you little brother's or little sister's coat as far as you can and try taking in off without help while bobbing up and down in big waves and heavy current. In my opinion it is no more a failure point than any other point in your harness as long as you keep your gear in good shape. Supplemented by the waist strap, scooter strap, chest strap (if you use one).  Real men use whatever works best for them after weighing all the information available.

Re: diving harness - billatlake - 09-02-2006

I use a Sherwood outback (Horseshoe shape with 50 lbs of lift and plenty of bungies).

It does a lot of flopping around an AL80, even with the bungies; and it does trap air.
If I knew then what I know now,  a backplate and 30lb donut bladder would be in my bag for single tank.
BC or bp/w...your call.  IMO too big a wing doesn't work well on either.