MNScuba.com
Shore Diving Superior - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Shore Diving Superior (/showthread.php?tid=3252)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Shore Diving Superior - arcFlash - 02-20-2007

The board is a little to slow and I think I have a good topic. I just got a copy of "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" and it list some shore diving between Duluth and Silver Bay so I'm going to post some and ask for additions and such.

My point is I don't have a boat to get to most of the wrecks and I don't mind looking around Superior shores. Anything new is alway exciting even if it's just a bunch of mining junk and boards.

If it helps set the tone, picture a nice weekend and 8 tanks in the pickup and a desire to explore coast line. Were do you go?

The book lists these as shore dives but little detail. What do we know?

Duluth Breakwall - Fitger Inn

Stony Point 

Knife River Ruins

Agate Bay

Flooded Bay wayside

Gooseberry Falls State Park

Camping sites are also welcome. I like tenting, it's cheap so'z I can buy gear.

Re: Shore Diving Superior - Michelle Crowe - 02-20-2007

Steve,

Flyboy65 just got on a plane
headed to NYC tonight.
Send him a PM after Sunday
and I am betting he will be
able to hook you up with
the information you need.
He lives in the Duluth area...

M

Re: Shore Diving Superior - wtdrm - 02-20-2007

3 obvious ones, Madeira, Boulder fields and the Hesper.

Re: Shore Diving Superior - scubadog76 - 02-21-2007

Last year we went in a the pier at Canal Park.  We found bike, skateboards, even the slide off of a gun.  It was clear at that time in August but when we went back in September it was very cloudy.  Just be careful not to swim past the end of the pier where the boats come into the canal.  That would be bad!

Re: Shore Diving Superior - ScubaAl - 02-21-2007

No boat! Do I have a deal for you. 1976 Slickcraft 245 351fordW/OMC outdrive on a trailer. Been in storage for about 5 yrs. Tired of paying storage fee, sell cheap.  ;D
Al

Re: Shore Diving Superior - rcojr - 02-21-2007

ScubaAl
I thought you sold that.
Bob

Re: Shore Diving Superior - ScubaAl - 02-21-2007

Hey Bob, No still have the boat. Seeing its 31yrs old maybe I can get more listing it as an antique or collectible?
BTW great show this past weekend, the best yet.
                                        Al

Re: Shore Diving Superior - arcFlash - 02-23-2007

"pier at Canal Park" I'll add that one. I've thought about it but then figured some badge would run me off.

Boulder field? I don't know that one unless you mean the swim to the Madeira.

I plan to dive everything I listed so I'll post what I learn for those interested.

I guess I thought this would be more interesting to everyone. I suppose if you're not diving a wreck your just wasting time and gas but this Duluth wreck makes me think we could find other stuff if we just take the path less traveled or the swim less bubbled.

I'd be in Duluth right now if I didn't make plans to ice fish this weekend. Go figure, this will be the first time in years I cut a hole and don't go for a swim.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Shore Diving Superior - Mrs_arcFlash - 02-24-2007

re "boulder fields" - maybe they meant the lava flows (?) area where I got tossed around on shore like a hackey sack!

I, too, am surprised that there weren't more posts on places to check out. Maybe this is a sign that we do need a dive boat  ;D

Does anyone have thoughts on what they consider 'best of' in the Apostles/Bayfield area?

Re: Shore Diving Superior - usediver - 02-24-2007

ok, here's one..
just north of the newer hotel in castle danger there is a foundation on shore,  like the old fish houses of 1900.  if you dive on either side, it has some interesting bottom configurations , like snowcones sticking up,    try asking permission to enter an old boat launch trail next to the homestead no. of hotel..