MNScuba.com
Gear choices for OW - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Gear choices for OW (/showthread.php?tid=370)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Gear choices for OW - JoelW - 01-09-2003

This really doesn't need to be in the DIR thread anymore. I was in talking to Rich at Scuba Dive and Travel and for OW classes he is planning on making a bp/wing/long hose/etc. option for students, which is what I think that Jean was talking about. If a student want to go that gear route they can use it for the class. Cool. He is also talking about an equipment night once a month to discuss gearing.

JoelW

Re:Gear choices for OW - LKunze - 01-09-2003

That is pretty cool.

Re:Gear choices for OW - Chris - 01-10-2003

Yeah, that is cool! It's all about options...

Re:Gear choices for OW - jasondbaker - 01-10-2003

What agency does SD&T use? I can't see a long hose and bp+wings in a PADI class. But maybe some of the other agencies are more flexible with gear configs.

Re:Gear choices for OW - JoelW - 01-10-2003

Nope, that would be PADI at SD&T. The question I had when it was mentioned is how to handle the snorkel. I don't think that PADI gives a rip about what gear is used as long as it doesn't mess with the standards. The issue I have heard mentioned about bp/wings in an OW class is setting it up for an individual. It takes some adjustment to get it correct.

It must be possible though because I have heard of at least one store owner, not local, who is PADI and teaches using bp/wings/long hose. He is not shy about saying so either.

JoelW

Re:Gear choices for OW - LKunze - 01-10-2003

Mike Ferrara from ScubaBoard?

Re:Gear choices for OW - LKunze - 01-10-2003

When Chris and I took PADI AOW our instructor used a BP/Wing and long hose config. He was a private instructor though not affiliated with a shop.

Re:Gear choices for OW - DRE - 01-12-2003

It is possible to use PADI even with the long hose. Although PADI (stupidly) recommends to keep the reg you're breathing in your mouth and donate some octo contraption, they do allow donating the reg that's in the mouth when using the AIR2 as a backup. This is the loophole used to teach donating the longhose under PADI. Also, keep in mind that PADI just started a Tech program, so in about 400 years they'll have figured out the benefits of donating the long hose even in their OW program - it's good that some people out there start pushing the issue.

Re:Gear choices for OW - Groovekitty - 01-12-2003

DRE,

I agree that PADI will start to teach donating the long hose in about 400 years, and then only if it will turn a profit. The PADI methods and standards are outdated and as a result, they are more dangerous than they should be. With all of the advances, discoveries, and new (by new I mean within the last 10 years, which is how long other training agencies have been teaching donating the long hose)theories about gear configuration and diving proceedures and practises, PADI has a responsibility to not only research these alternative points of view and ideas, but to pass them on to their students. I believe that by refusing to review their own processes and teaching standards, until they see a monetary value to do so, they are hurnting the dive industry and promoting lack of understanding, critical thinking, and over all well trained and thoughful divers.

The fact that Scuba Dive and Travel has now taken steps to support training that includes doanting the long hose, is raising the bar for open water training in Minnesota.

Safe diving,
groovekitty

Re:Gear choices for OW - tbrown - 01-12-2003

Just out of curiousity, who are the other recreational training agencies that are advocating long hose?