MNScuba.com
B.C. Choices - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: B.C. Choices (/showthread.php?tid=3726)

Pages: 1 2 3

B.C. Choices - SmithDiving - 05-19-2008

Rather than re-hash the same old BP&W vs. jacket debate, I'd like to hear from divers who use both jacket style (or back inflation jackets) and back plate & wing set-ups and when they use each, why they prefer one in certain situations.  I normally dive a SeaQuest jacket B.C. for local recreational dives and in warm water, and will use my Apeks harness system when diving in more extreme situations (deep/wreck penetration etc).  I will probably be bringing my Apeks from now on when travelling because it is lighter (without the plate) than most jacket styles.  Any thoughts? 

Re: B.C. Choices - DiveCaptDean - 05-19-2008

While i much prefer BP&W in all local environments..i do use my Zeagle BC in the pool and when i go on tropical vacations with the family.  It packs much easier, i get the same wing inflate/attitude in the water and using a little weight on a tropic trip is not an issue.  I also dont bring all my regs with me and usually pack a single poseidon with an AIR2...

Re: B.C. Choices - DiverQueen - 05-19-2008

I originally bought a Zeagle Escape (Back Buoyancy B.C.) from a LDS and started to dive with it.  Being a new diver, I found it difficult to maintain buoyancy and had to inflate and deflate the b.c.  I noticed that the Zeagle had only left side deflation valves, none on the right side.  In trying to look at my dive computer to check my depth and deflate the b.c at the same time was a bit difficult. 
Later, I found a used vest from e-bay and had it checked out at my local shop.  Primarily I dive the vest unless it's in for service or on loan to a dive buddy.  But I enjoy having both available to use as needed.

Re: B.C. Choices - nellamit - 05-19-2008

Just yesterday I was diving with someone who had a Seaquest Balance, a good BC that I have used and like. He had all of the weight he could fit in the BC and still needed to wear a weight belt with a drysuit. With my backplate I have enough weight built into it and in my pockets so I don't need a belt. I guess that's ok if you don't mind wearing a belt. I personally hate weight belts and have vowed to do everything in my power to never wear a weight belt again. It just doesn't seem to make sense to spend good money on a weight integrated BC and then still need to wear a belt. Just my 2 cents.

Re: B.C. Choices - DetectorGuy - 05-19-2008

I use a Seaquest Pro QD (last years model) and I started to have the same dilemma with only so much room in the ditchable weight pockets. I went to a LDS and asked the "sales man" why it doesn't have a non-ditchable weight pocket like the Aqualung literature claims. They told me "Nope it doesn't have one but if you buy this higher end model, then you will have those non-ditchable pockets. I was kinda disgruntled but took it back home. I looked it over again and found out that it does have a LARGE non-ditchable pocket in the back that is accessed kinda through the arm hole. I keep 5 pounds in there and 10 pounds of  ditchable weight in each side. The BC has 40 pounds of lift and once I get more accustomed to the drysuit I will undoubtedly be able to loose more excess weight. I like the BC but if I had the money I would spring for the Seaquest Black Diamond (also a jacket style) as it has the ability to pair up two tanks. I haven't tried a backplate with wings but I would like to someday to see what I'm missing. So if you are wearing an integrated weight BC and it appears not to have non-ditchable weight pockets look it over really close and you might be just as surprised as I was. Option 2 would be to get weighted tank boots. These come in ditchable and non ditchable styles. Option 3 would be to use a neutrally buoyant  aluminium tank. These are kind of new  to the diving market (I think) and Luxfer markets them for just this purpose. Option 4 would be to sell the alum tanks on Craig's List and spring for a couple steel tanks. Option 5 would be to get used to wearing the weight belt along with the integrated BC. Thats my 17 cents. John

Re: B.C. Choices - SmithDiving - 05-20-2008

The non-ditchable pouches are kind of hard to get to on the Pro QD, but they do make a huge difference in balance especially for those using aluminum tanks.    I've always like that B.C. and never had any lift problems even when very heavy (both personally & equipment). 
One reason I go to the BP&W is that the Pro QD, like most jackets, has a lot of material and feels sloppy to me - or I feel like I'm not as hydro-dynamic in it.
Quote:The BC has 40 pounds of lift and once I get more accustomed to the drysuit I will undoubtedly be able to loose more excess weight.
I'm not sure what size your Pro QD is but I think you got some bum info. on the lift capacity.  Medium is 32 lbs, ML - 34lb, L - 46 lb, XL & XXL - 54 lb.
BTW we have some nice little add on pockets that fit over any 2" webbing (like the tank strap).  These are a nice option for anyone who doesn't have non-ditchable weight pockets.

Re: B.C. Choices - LKunze - 05-20-2008

I've never come across a situation where I felt anything but a BP/Wing to be best for me. 

When I was certified at Smith years back I trained in a Pro QD and then dove a Ranger for a year.  I switched to a BP/Wing after the first year of diving for diving singles and then got a doubles wing for diving doubles the past couple years which is all I dive now locally. 

For me the BP/Wing is more stable, has much better horizontal trim and a lot less clutter.  The BP/Wing's strengths are in versatility and streamlining.  The problem with the BP/Wing for new divers is that they are rarely available to try at most shops so many divers do not know about them until after they dive with other local divers that have them.  I'm not sure why they aren't more mainstream.  I suspect it's a marketing thing. 

I spent a lot of money on gear early on only to sell most of it within a year.  The BP/Wing as mentioned is really nice for taking on trips too since it packs more compact.  I know...I'm one sided on this but those are just my observations from my personal experience. 

If the jacket and back inflate BC's work for others (single tank diving only) then that's fine too.  If one ever thinks they may want to get into doubles then the BP/Wing is the obvious choice.  You can swap out different wings and you are set.  No need to purchase a whole new BC rig.  Cost is not a factor as a BP/Wing is really priced in the same ballpark as Jacket or back inflate BC. 

There are some wings that will work for both single and doubles diving however I have found that getting a dedicated wing for each to be the best option. 

Re: B.C. Choices - Shooter - 05-20-2008

;D It also has a ice diving harness built into it!  ;D

Re: B.C. Choices - DetectorGuy - 05-20-2008

That was my bad as I was going off my shoddy memory. I have a large PRO QD and now I understand that it is 46lbs lift. I almost have more fun buying diving equipment than diving just because I havent logged a bunch of dives yet. I think the buying of dive gear will taper off for me for a bit and try to just get in some down time. eventually I see myself buying a bp/w just to have it in the arsenal.

Re: B.C. Choices - LKunze - 05-20-2008

Ahh...very true, I never thought of that.  I need to try ice diving next year.