MNScuba.com
Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? (/showthread.php?tid=3934)

Pages: 1 2

Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - 68raggtop - 05-15-2008

Since I finally broke down and bought tanks for my wife and I, I realized I need to figure out where to keep them.  The garage would be easier then in the house because of steps.  I know that it gets mighty warm in the garage in the summer though.  So where does everyone keep theirs?
Dave

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - MNLakeDiver - 05-15-2008

I built a rack in my garage to keep them from falling over. they have been stored there between dives for 5 years with no problems. I try to fill them right after diving so I always have full tanks. I have both alm and steel.

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - jleech - 05-15-2008

storing tanks in your garage should not be a problem. A scuba tank will increase pressure about 5 psi per degree temp increase. That means if you have a full 3000 psi fill at 70 degrees, the tank pressure would increase to 3300 if the air in the tank went up to 130 degrees. Even if the air temperature in you garage were this hot, it would take a while for the air in the tank to heat up. More realisticly you'd probably see the tank at 100 degrees, which only adds 150-180 which should not cause any problems.

This is one reason you should be careful about leaving tanks in the trunk of a car out in the sun, because the temperature could easily get over 140 degrees on a hot day.

Jeff

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - DetectorGuy - 05-15-2008

I keep four of the older scuffed tanks in the garage but I keep the two nice looking ones in my living room flanking my TV. It sounds like a hillbilly thing to do but it really adds class to the joint.

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - DiveCaptDean - 05-15-2008

I use mine as a pillow and occasionally one between my knees when sleeping on my side......What?...you all dont sleep with yours??????

Actually i currently have 30+ tanks in my garage...AL 40's, 80's Steel 72's, 100'2 and 120's.... i have always kept tanks in the garage...without any problems....

Deano

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - 68raggtop - 05-15-2008

Now that's funny! 
I guess the garage wins.  Now I need to build a enclosure..... when it snows.

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - mcdiver - 08-17-2008

I have stored all my tanks in the garage since purchased, including the 40's you bought from me. I may have brought them into the basement the first year I built my house, but I probably got sick of hauling them up the stairs to go ice diving.

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - dd_diver - 10-13-2008

When I am actively diving (ie summer), I keep my tanks in the garage.  I have about a dozen, so they take up a bit of room.  This time of year, they get moved to the basement.  I wish I could figure out a way to decorate with them, but so far, they don't quite fit my decor.  I'm working on that though..........

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - suddha - 10-14-2008

A followup question: store them full or empty (500psi) all winter? (I don't ice dive.)

Re: Where do you store your tanks when your not diving? - NorthlandDivers - 10-14-2008

I would recommend storing them with 500psi.  If they are not going to be used in 60 days.