MNScuba.com
DIR - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: DIR (/showthread.php?tid=40)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

DIR - LKunze - 03-19-2002

Any DIR divers here?  Anyone care to share any thoughts, opinions, etc on DIR?

Re: DIR - JoelW - 03-19-2002

I lean that way.  To me DIR makes sense.  It is not very popular around here.  Don't try bringing it up in any of the stores.<br><br>If you have a real interest several of us here in town are importing a pair of instructors to teach a DIR Fundamentals course May 3-5.  The primary instructor is the training director for GUE (Global Underwater Explorers), the main proponents of DIR.  Information on the class can be found through looking under the classroom tab.  Since none of the stores around here have any interest we are doing this without any store involvement.  Another option is pick up a copy of Fundamentals book sold through GUE.  If nothing else, cruise the GUE site and see what they are saying.<br><br>The biggest problem seems to be getting good information.  That is probably the biggest reason we are bringing someone in.  Pulling information off of the net is just about worthless.  A lot of people have pretty strong opinions for and against DIR and that heavily colors any of the discussions.<br><br>By the way, I am not into tech diving.  Like I said, it makes sense to me.<br><br>JoelW<br><br>

Re: DIR - jasondbaker - 03-19-2002

Three months ago I had never heard of DIR.  It took another month of cruising scubaboard to even figure out what it meant.<br><br>I'm interested in anything that will improve my safety and diving experience.  <br><br>It seems like DIR is mostly about standardizing gear configurations.  I'm interested in the bp/wing, long hose, etc.  <br><br>Based on what I have read, if you are DIR you can't dive with me.  But, how can I gain more insight into DIR unless I dive with DIR people?  <br><br>I think there is a great deal of thought and experience behind DIR -- with maybe a little creative marketing as well.<br><br>Thanks for bringing the course to MN.  I think new ideas are great.  Hopefully you can share with the rest of us.

Re: DIR - JoelW - 03-20-2002

Jason,<br><br>I said that l leaned that way, not that I was a fanatic.  I am doing stuff that I know doesn't fall into DIR.  I don't berate people who don't go for DIR either.  The person I do most of my diving with doesn't buy into it.<br><br>As far as the diving goes, if I remember correctly, rule number 1 is don't dive with unsafe divers, regardless of what they are wearing.  I think that the diving only with other DIR divers is more important for serious tech diving, of which I don't do.  For watching fish here I don't see that it matters what someone is wearing as long as they don't fall into the rule one category.  <br><br>Also, don't get hung up on the equipment side of the discussion.  Equipment is a big part, but there is more to it than that.  Mental and physical fitness are just as important as the equipment.  Picking up a copy of the fundamentals book is not a bad way to spend $24.  Even if you don't think DIR amounts to anything it is still a pretty good book.<br><br>As far as the marketing goes, you can rig up 100% DIR and never lay eyes on a piece of equipment that says Halcyon or EE.  <br><br>Hopefully I will better understand DIR after the class in May.<br><br>JoelW

Re: DIR - Starfish - 03-20-2002

I am interested but also ran into the no-on-does-that here at the stores.<br><br>I found it interesting that my Medic First Aid instructor at a MN store seemed to be Tech diving but is not following DIR.  From what I overheard about his recommendations to classmates on gear choices, I have a feeling that someone in DIR would faint dead away from some of the methods he was using not being DIR.<br><br>Any info is good info.  --Starfish

Re: DIR - JoelW - 03-20-2002

One thing I should have added above is that while we have enough people singed up to have the DIR Fundamentals class we also have a couple of slots open if anyone is interested in joining.<br><br>JoelW

Re: DIR - Starfish - 04-23-2002

Do you need to have the DIR "proper" equipement to take the class?<br><br>Is this a hands-on class or a lecture?<br><br>As I am not 100% fit, I am sure the Instructor would tell me to go to the gym for a year defore attempting DIR, but I am interested anyway.<br><br>Do you have a date?  Room for one more?

Re: DIR - Starfish - 04-23-2002

Date as in calendar date.   Wink I'm a married woman!

Re: DIR - JoelW - 04-23-2002

The date for the DIR-F class here is May 3-5, next weekend.  Currently there are 9 signed up with space for 1 more.  We are going to have 3 GUE instructors in to do the class.<br><br>As far as equipment goes, the minimum required is a long primary hose, 5' or better, and no split fins.  If your equipment is farther along the DIR path, great.  If not, it is not required.<br><br>Friday night, May 3, is going to be lecture.  Saturday and Sunday are going to be half lecture, half in the water.  <br><br>JoelW

Re:DIR - Dano - 08-03-2002

I'm new, both to diving and of course the board. I've read most everything of interest to me and I am still not sure what DIR means or stands for. It sounds like specialty diving at or for a higher level of proficiency. (hope there's spell check on this board) Is it of use for recreational diving? Around here in the Midwest? Maybe it's useful for UDT! :-\<br><br>Dano