MNScuba.com
lost a good shop - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: lost a good shop (/showthread.php?tid=4054)

Pages: 1 2

lost a good shop - jasondbaker - 08-11-2008

Scuba Dive and Travel is closing its doors on August 29.  They are clearing out all of their instock equipment.  SD&T was always a very friendly store and it filled a certain niche in the Twin Cities market.  I know it is hard to operate a dive shop in the current economic market.  Mike and Bonni didn't let that strain impact the quality of service and support they provided to customers.  I wish them the best of luck as they make this difficult transition.

Re: lost a good shop - Mr.Pitbull - 08-11-2008

Mike, Bonni and the shop as a whole will be sorely missed. Not only are they a great influence on the local diving community, but they are great friends as well. There is nothing that they would not do for a student and no end to the lengths that they will go to for a valued customer.
  We will all miss the BBQ fun dives and all of the events that they brought to the local divers. The service was second to none and the camaraderie both in and out of the water will not easily be replaced. :'(
We all wish you well in the future and hope to keep you as dive buddies as often as possible.

Re: lost a good shop - SmithDiving - 08-11-2008

Some days are harder than others and this one was particularly difficult with the news that Scuba Dive & Travel will be gone.  Way back when (the early 80's) the owners of SD&T and the owner of Smith Diving, were commercial diving partners and we have always felt a small connection to Jerry, then Richard and to Bonnie & Oz.  I have always believed that our area has been blessed with alot of great dive shops, and I know that SD&T has earned a place of great respect amongst local divers, and other dive professionals.  I would encourage everyone to visit Scuba Dive & Travel before the end of the month and say thanks.

Re: lost a good shop - wtdrm - 08-11-2008

along with lee's good words I would like to add mine.
Bonnie and Mike took a flyer by buying this shop. Their only wish was to make it profitable enough to be able to continue their love of diving and to serve people they have met while pursuing diving. With the economic downturn good people like this have lost their dream.
I hope that we try to visit the shops that we have left, and continue to espouse our love of diving to non-divers.  if we don't do that we divers will have fewer choices of dive shops. I fear that there are not too many behind Mike and SDT. We will soon be buying our air online or traveling 30 miles to fill them. I have gone through the latter and it is not fun. the end result is we :"Dive less"

Bottom line is " support your local dive shop".
For those of you that buy your gear and or training onlign. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!.
CJ

Re: lost a good shop - Scuba Brat - 08-12-2008

Sorry to here of another shop closing . Mdc in Roch. as well is closing . As you mentioned in your post MDC will be missed as well . They as SD&T were an excellent shop and asset to diveing over 25 yrs in operation . It is a sad sign :'( of the times . So as you mentioned support your local dive shops . Paying a few more bucks for gear is well worth the support and friends you make at the shop . Besides where else can  are you hang out ?   

Re: lost a good shop - wtdrm - 08-12-2008

I did not know about MDC. This was a good shop also.
Sorry to lose eel pout.
I think that was his handle.

Re: lost a good shop - Dirt - 08-12-2008

Yea, working at SD&T was a great era in my life.  It's a weird feeling knowing the shop is not going to be around any longer.  It was a great community of divers we had going out on our local treks and just comming into the shop to hang out with Richard & I. 

Thanks everyone for a million awesome memories.

Darin 

Re: lost a good shop - mcdiver - 08-12-2008

Hey Darin,

It was always fun to stop into the dive store when I came to the cities. I had bought numerous BC's and Regs from Richard when I first started to teach and I was always treated with a great deal of respect and courtesy.

I had only been into the store once since Richard sold the business, but I am sure it was run with a great deal of pride.

Best of Luck to All.

Re: lost a good shop - Scuba Brat - 08-13-2008

MDC  IS STILL TEACHING Smile

The only good  thing I neglected to say about MDC , is that they are still going to be teaching so people will still have the opportunity to learn to dive from  excellent instructors. We just will not have the equip. support we enjoyed although it will not be impossible to get .     

Re: lost a good shop - Deep Thought - 08-13-2008

Very sad news indeed!  Mike and Bonnie are great folks and they have a wonderful network of divers that they have worked very hard to provide quality training, equipment and fun dive activities. We will miss their support in the diving community. 

Best Wishes

Ron & Chris Benson