MNScuba.com
GF and safety stops - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: GF and safety stops (/showthread.php?tid=4549)

Pages: 1 2

GF and safety stops - arcFlash - 08-24-2010

This isn't technical diving but it's about Gradient Factors so I think it fits better then any other place.

I have a new Shearwater PROT-SA and have 3 dives on it, all NDL and max 112ft. I notice it's the only computer I have used that doesn't automatically add a 3 minute stop if I dive below some arbitrary depth like 40ft.

I'm still reading up on the theories applied to GF models but I'm looking for a quick answer on should I still just assume a 3 minute stop at 15ft even if it isn't required? If its purely thinking in tissue pressure set in my GF without any padding over my set gradients, 30/85, should I even bother stopping seeing it's telling me it isn't going to help?

So far I have stopped as my buddies all have stops and it's likely to always be that way.

PS: The Predator is so nice to dive it's borderline magical.

Re: GF and safety stops - rcojr - 08-24-2010

No matter what, I believe the three minutes is worth while.
Bob

Re: GF and safety stops - Shooter - 08-25-2010

I dive an RGBM computer. It has an option to program for a deep stop. If I use this option, it normally omits the shallow safety stop. Unless I violate the ascent rate, which can be easy to do when you are chasing a fish.

Re: GF and safety stops - arcFlash - 08-25-2010

I've stopped doing deep stops in exchange for the 'man on a rope' theory. I prefer to crawl up the line slowly then making a stop. I find it more entertaining to move continually until I get to the shallows. My computers to date haven't asked me to stop but I felt better with them sometime so I just craw the line (10-15fpm) until my required stop starting about midway.

Re: GF and safety stops - Scuba Brat - 08-25-2010

Take a advanced Nitrox /Deco. procedures class . :o

Re: GF and safety stops - arcFlash - 08-25-2010

I have adv/deco. This is about NDL use of the three minute 'safety' stop. What are you assuming? Are you implying that the only Deco Model is GF and that if I used RGBM or VPM-B originally I need retraining in Deco Procedures and the use of O2?

[/quote]

Re: GF and safety stops - Shooter - 08-25-2010

If I program mine for the ds, It still wants me to do it regardless of ascent rate. If I skip it, it then goes to the 2-3 min on the safety stop.

Re: GF and safety stops - Scuba Brat - 08-26-2010

Not at all.
I do not dive computers . By your ? did not sound like you have a grasp on deco . The three min stop is worth the time ,like it says safty stop . Its only 3 min .

[/quote]
[/quote]

Re: GF and safety stops - arcFlash - 08-26-2010

Fair enough. The question was really targeted at the padding in most recreational computers. Take my last 2 (NiTek & Oceanic) computers, they both add a 3 minutes stop if I go below 40 feet even if it's only for 2 minutes. I can't possibly need a 3 minute stop on a 2 minute dive. Say I didn't like the vis or forgot a camera and wanted to go back for it. The computer 'padding' asked me to stop for 3 minutes. Not the normal 3 minute stop if I'm within 2 pressure groups of NDL but 3 just because. 

So my Shearwater is designed for technical divers (which I do not consider myself) so it doesn't add silly 3 minutes stops to every diver regardless of my pressure group or compartment pressure (GF). I understand it's a good idea to stop for a normal dive and because my computers ALWAYS asked but I know many are just useless stops because I was below some arbitrary depth.

The 'safety' stop is a deco stop if your within 2 pressure groups of Deco (padi). They are added to span the gap on the older models between YOU MUST STOP and WE DON'T THINK YOU NEED TO STOP. That way the 'safety' stop kept the diver out of the gray area of NDL/DECO with a GF computer if the factors are corrected and I put in something like 30/85 or more conservative I'm moving my self away from the gray area 99/99 and adding stops if I need them based on my actual dive and GF. So by adding an extra 3 minutes to be safe I should just change my GF to 10/50 to force the stops or consider my 30/85 safe for me and only stop if it asks.

It's likely I'll always be with a buddy that stops for NDL dives so I will and obviously when I'm in deco I run the plan and I do add a few minutes at the end of my last stop, no need to rush out of there. This is more theory.

Re: GF and safety stops - Scuba Brat - 08-26-2010

Got it . Now it makes sense .