MNScuba.com
Dive Computer question - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Dive Computer question (/showthread.php?tid=4599)

Pages: 1 2

Dive Computer question - Scouter - 09-16-2009

OK gang I have been getting some good advise on the dry suits. Keep that going I love it but how about another question on another subject?

Suunto vs. Sherwood

Viper 3 vs. the Wisdom 2

How about the D9?  Too small?

Remote pressure sensor vs hose attached pressure sensor?

Other options or choices and why?

I LOVE OPINIONS AND ADVISE  ;D

Brian

Re: Dive Computer question - doug67 - 09-16-2009

I use a Oceanic 180 and like it. Its very simple like me. Has a light, works for nitrox,has alarms, and the battery is easy to replace. Price was right also. Most the people I dive with use the Suuntos and seem to like them. Good luck.

Re: Dive Computer question - NorthlandDivers - 09-16-2009

The Suunto Cobra 3 has a $150 Instant rebate on it right now as does the D9.
Makes for a really great deal!

Re: Dive Computer question - SeaYa Diving - 09-17-2009

Nice Discussion. The Sherwood Wisdom Computer is a "2" button, very very user friendly computer with a large read out and many user friendly functions. The best thing to do with scuba gear is try something before you buy it. We have the Wisdom for demo along with other brands and other computers; it is part of our "try it before you buy it program" and we have some good pricing going on. Great to see you are thinking about a computer. We wish you good luck and good visibility  Smile.

SeaYa Diving
Shakopee, MN

Re: Dive Computer question - Scouter - 09-17-2009

I'll be coming to see you guys too in the near future. I was aware of the rebate but I am not ready to buy yet. I still have a lot to learn about product function  and features.

Does Northland rent Suunto products? If so which lines?

The computers seem like a lot to learn to use correctly to want to go though the process testing too many different lines. That is primarily why I am leaning toward these three. BUT i am still open to good rational for considering something else.

Re: Dive Computer question - LKunze - 09-17-2009

I've used an original Vyper (wrist mount) since 2001 and haven't had a single problem with it yet.  I've changed the battery out a couple times so far.

I will be SeeingYa soon as well. (pun intended) I am heading down to Canon Falls this weekend for a scouting event. Perhaps I will swing past Friday afternoon. I do plan to try things out but am right now trying to develop a short list of gear to check out more closely. Alot of the gear I am thinking about is higher end gear and not readily available for testing; or so it seems to me so far.

I am assuming you guys handle the Sherwood line. What other lines do you handle and/or recommend and why?

Thanks all again
Brian

Is it pretty easy to use? Do you have a remote tank pressure sensor? If you do does it keep track or usage and predict air remaining?

Thanks for the input
Brian

Re: Dive Computer question - Qix - 09-17-2009

I have been diving with a Suunto Vytec for about 5yrs now (~400 dives on comp & xmtr). I purchased mine from Northland when they were offering the transmitter at a discount if you bought both together.

Pros: Computer and transmitter have operated with zero problems for all types of dive conditions. Very reliable. I like the size and even now with bifocals looming I can read the display. I do like  the remote tank pressure ability - but I always dive with a small SPG clipped to BPW rig. I check the spg as if I had no computer. What I like about the integrated pressure is that it augments a standard computer. Specifically, as it monitors the dive for deco and nitrogen loading it is also looking at the air consumption rate. Where a normal computer would warn you of deco obiligations and monitor safety stops, this computer also computes how you are using air will prompt you to ascend even earlier to ensure you will have enough air for all ascents and stops with a minimum tank pressure upon surfacing. Is this a perfect system - no way. But in my experience, it has always provided a bit of conservatism / warning. Plus, its great for logging dives as it records tank pressures throughout the dive and the overall amount used. I really like the Suunto Dive Manager software and the download interface I have (not a Suunto product). These things seem really good on batteries. I have changed the dive computer battery twice. And I just changed the transmitter battery for the first time last weekend at crosby. Both can be done with no fancy tools required and you can get the batteries fairly easily. For it's age, I think it records a decent number of dives - I was able to do a 12-day trip to Bonaire and none of the dives were dropped from queue.

Cons: As I get older and vision changes the display may ultimately be too small for me (but by then I should have doubled the number of dives with it). Also, the buttons are quite small and required a pretty good press (good for avoiding accidental presses). For warm water diving (no gloves or thin gloves) this isn't much of an issue as the buttons don't get pressed that much during a dive anyways. But in coldwater with 7mm gloves I find it more difficult to press the buttons. My only nit is that when the dive is over (computer is out of the water) eventually the screen protector will have some moisture/fog on the bottom side and above the actually display screen, making it hard to see the display. I''ll often dunk it to be able to check the surface interval and/or change the Nitrox mix. Dunking it does activate it though (if it's off) so it uses some battery I guess. This fogging problem is totally outside the dive computer assy so no risk to the device. And give it enough time it dries off on it's own (maybe an hour or two later depending on outside temp, humidity, etc). The only other issue I have is the mass overpricing of the download equipment.

A couple of other notes. You can dive a Vytec w/o a transmitter and I believe it is then exactly like the Vyper. I suggest the elastomeric boots and bungee if you get wrist mounted versions. And the SK7 compass is hard to beat, wearing on the left wrist. Regarding the computer itself, out of the box it is conservative. When diving Cozumel morning dives on air it would often warn of deco on the second dive if it is long/deep enough. The rest of the group will look at me funny as I move up 10'-15'. Then about 6min later they are up to join me. Perhaps it is too conservative? I solved that the best way - diving Nitrox on those dives Smile When it comes to automatically logging air consumption, the transmitter only records pressure. In the Dive Manager software you specify the tank size which then gives it enough info to compute volume of air used. Finally, save yourself some money on accessories and buy the download cable online. I bought a USB version for under $40 that is small, clips into the pins really really good and has worked great under Win2k and WinXP.

Overall - a fantastic, tough, dive it and not worry about it piece of gear (IMHO)! No product is perfect. But as I write this I can recount at least 3 times where other dive computer brands would not log a dive (youch!) or not turn off or not allow setting nitrox or have stuck displays. In other words they failed. The Vytec just kept on doing it's job. Actually, the only time I've seen someone mess with a Vytec or Vyper is when a guy on a boat violated a deco obligation diving a Vyper. Not wanting to sit on the boat and knowing other divers computers didn't do the same thing - he popped his battery to reset it.  He was probably okay - but it was not wise! Oh yeah, I have had on occurance on a dive boat where my Vytec picked up another person's Vytec transmitter (easily solved) so it's not quite as common as I thought it would be when I first got it.

Thanks QIX for the very informative input. You more of less are helping to confirm a concern of mine. A wrist mount might be a problem for me. I don't want to claim I am old because I AM NOT  :o With out stating my age however  :-X I was married when I got certified in 1974 so I do know about bifocals. This would be a problem for me I think.

Very good to hear about the reliability you have experienced with the vytec.

Thank you for your thoughtful input
Brian