MNScuba.com
Mares Icon HD - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Mares Icon HD (/showthread.php?tid=4663)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Mares Icon HD - Austin - 11-03-2009

BP&W all the way.  We can't argue about that.  Smile

Re: Mares Icon HD - arcFlash - 11-03-2009

Love too but I don't know weekend plans yet. I have some early drafts but nothing firm.

Re: Mares Icon HD - goaliemn - 11-03-2009

Which vessel?  The visited one was Hercules.  I don't remember what your boat was named Sad

Re: Mares Icon HD - doug67 - 11-03-2009

Thats the Sudden Impulse Goaliemn, although Terry looks a little like Gilligan, maybe he should change it to the S.S. Minnow. ;D

Re: Mares Icon HD - doug67 - 11-03-2009

I just checked the Mares website. That thing is f***ing COOL, but then again I always was a sucker for buttons and flashing lights. >Big Grin

Re: Mares Icon HD - scubafreek864 - 11-03-2009

Now that right there is FUNNY!!

Re: Mares Icon HD - DetectorGuy - 11-03-2009

About a year and a half ago I was laying in bed thinking about diving... I was always a trinket kind of guy... I thought that an underwater GPS would be the coolest thing since sliced bread... I figured that if a person had some capital, he (or she) could make a waterproof container for a GPS unit, but the signal would not be received through the water, so the same person could run a wire from the unit along your dive flag line to the surface and put the antennae on the flag. Then after the dive a person could map out your path on AutoCad in 3D (using a combination of your depth as vertical axis and GPS location as horizontal axis. Marry  two or three dives on the same 3D model and you would have a neat "spaghetti chart" of the area you have covered.

There are five problems with this whole idea:
1. The GPS would only tell you where the antennae is on the surface and not the actual diver.
2. The depth of the diver would need to couple your dive computer to the GPS unit.
3. This would be tough to market as the overhead would be high on a limited build.
4. The market would be small as most divers would not use this much info.
5. About two months after I had this whole daydream... Someone else put one on the market.

After a strong dose of reality, I gave up on these trinkety things, tended to be a sheep, and follow my peers influence. I do like people pushing the envelope on technology and testing these new items so that our sport can evolve from generation to generation. (after all it is still a sport, right?..) If no one pushed the envelope of technology... No nitrox, No tri-mix, No re-breather, No dive computer for that matter.

Just use your head and don't stay up all night dreaming about underwater GPS!

Re: Mares Icon HD - Terry - 11-03-2009

"Terry looks a little like Gilligan",,,,,,, WTF!!!!! Ok, Doug (and Robert too) I hope the next fancy set of flashing lights you get to see, is the cops pulling you over to write you a ticket! Although I thought we were going to have a three hour cruise in the darkness just to get back to the boat launch on that last Minnetonka run, you guys make me laugh!

John I have laid awake thinking about diving too, the same thing, thinking about tecky stuff too but it wasnt about an underwater GPS, I was swimming behind the lovely Trinity in the next Matrix movie (in her sexy little black outfit), just hoping she didnt kick my ass when I caught up to her.

Re: Mares Icon HD - arcFlash - 11-09-2009

DetectorGuy: That's a good point. I normally undervalue new technology because it's supply side. They need to make a dollar. But, if some of us don't take to the 'gimics' we'd still be on horse collars, J-valves, and navy tables. So, although it's not for me, It good some are. I'm using the gimics from the 80's.

I'll get the Icon HD about 2019 and then rant about the Icon UHD and it's integrated sonar wire framing with MRI maps.

Re: Mares Icon HD - Terry - 11-09-2009

Hey Steve, I learned with J-valves and Navy tables (and STILL TODAY) carry a set of navy air tables to 300' SW on air) with on every dive, so, what are you saying?