MNScuba.com
Tank Question... - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Tank Question... (/showthread.php?tid=47)

Pages: 1 2

Tank Question... - Chris - 05-23-2002

I'm looking at buying my second aluminum 80 and need the following input from you all:<br><br>How many tanks do you own?<br><br>How many tanks do you bring on a dive?<br><br>I would like some input on the value of owning two. Almost all of my diving will be local, and more than likely once a week (weather/time permitting).

Re: Tank Question... - lrmoll - 05-23-2002

I currently have two, an aluminum and a steel. The steel I got from a friend who had it sitting around his garage for years and doesn't dive anymore, and in fact is not even certified.<br><br>I was once told that if you find a Luxfor tank no matter how bad of shape its in, buy it. Luxfor has an unlimited warranty on the tanks. Presumably they will replace tanks forever.<br><br>I think over time I will build up to four or five tanks so I can go for a weekend locally without stopping for a fill.

Re: Tank Question... - MNLakeDiver - 05-23-2002

I'll put my $.02 worth in.<br>I own 1 tank but am looking for a second. I dive Steel because I'm a "diver of girth"(lets be p.c.) I like to have my own tanks so If a friend calls and wants to go diving I don't have to run to the shop first to get a tank. I want two so when I do weekeng diving I can dive 2 tanks then fill them durning a serfus intervill. then dive them both again.

Re: Tank Question... - ccuda - 05-23-2002

Luxfer does not have an unlimited warranty on tanks.<br><br>Luxfer had an alloy problem some years back which showed signs of neck cracks. These cracks will result in the tank rupturing in the near future. This was a huge liability. They realized their alloy was the problem, and have since then changed the alloy. <br><br>Luxfer's policy is that if the tank shows neck cracks and is under 10 years old (based upon it's manufacturer's first hydrostatic test), they will replace it for free, but you must pay the $25 or so in shipping to get it to them. If it is over 10 years old, they will replace it for $50, but you must still again pay for the shipping.<br><br>When new, all cylinders have a warranty if manufactured in the US. But this does no cover mis-use, user damage, etc.<br><br>There are really only 2 or 3 major manufacturers of cylinders in the US. None of which are any better than the others. And they all have different manufacturers valves that are put on them. For example, Sherwood has been a very reliable k-valve to own.<br><br>Steel offer less on your weight belt as they are negatively buoyant when empty. They are also more expensive and required more money for upkeep that includes possible internal sand blasting because of oxidation.<br><br>Aluminum is more inexpensive to manufacture and much more common. It has thicker walls than the steel, but most can hold more pressure unless you get into the 100cu ft, 120cu ft, and HP Steels. <br><br>If you switch between some steel cylinders and aluminum, you have to adjust your BCD tanks strap each time.<br><br>Many manufacturers now have neutrally buoyant aluminums for a slightly higher cost. But most anywhere you go, almost everyone has the standard 80cu ft aluminum as I know I want to spend more money on the other toys, not on air.<br><br>It is nice, doing two dives on Sat. then the night dive. And then 2 dives on Sun. without having to go anywhere for an air fill. Sure, the more tanks the better, though I think having at least 2 tanks is nice. Why drive so far, seeing something new, and then not being able to return to take a second look at it?<br><br>

Re: Tank Question... - Chris - 05-23-2002

Quote:<br>Why drive so far, seeing something new, and then not being able to return to take a second look at it? <br>
<br><br>Especially when I have free air to use up! And if I get another tank one of these days, that will be even more free air... <br><br>Ahhh, now that is what I call 'free diving'!

Re: Tank Question... - jasondbaker - 05-23-2002

<br>Two tanks = more than one dive in a day.  It can mean half the number of trips to the shop for fills.  I couldn't deal with only one tank.  Now I want four for those weekend trips. But, you can always rent a couple more tanks.

Re: Tank Question... - Derrick - 05-23-2002

I have two aluminum tanks. I always bring them both when I go diving even when I do a single dive in Square Lake, like last night. There is always a chance a buddy needs a tank for some reason or another so having a spare comes in handy (actually with diving once a week, I am too lazy to take them out of my SUV  Smile ). If I do only one dive a week, then I need to stop at the shop for fills every two weeks. Getting fills are a pain on the North Shore so two tanks or more are a must. If I start diving doubles next year, I will buy two more aluminums and dedicate a pair for doubles. Fanta Sea Dive shop is close enough to my home where the 30 fills free fills make buying aluminum tanks very attractive.<br><br>Derrick

Re: Tank Question... - Chris - 05-24-2002

Thanks for the advice... Sounds like I'll be heading to the shop this weekend to pick up a second tank! I almost went last night but was too worn out.

Re: Tank Question... - tbrown - 05-24-2002

I notice that everyone seems to favor AL. I am thinking of getting some LP steels. Does anyone have an arguement why this would be a bad idea?

Re: Tank Question... - LKunze - 05-24-2002

I like steels better too because of their better buoyancy characteristics.  I recently bought a used 85 cu ft Faber steel tank for $149.  I think price is the biggest factor for most people choosing to buy aluminums.  Steels cost twice as much as aluminums brand new.