MNScuba.com
IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL (/showthread.php?tid=471)

Pages: 1 2

IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - igotoofar - 02-27-2003

Has anyboy tried the Impluse dry snorkel??? What do you think of it?

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - chrisw - 02-28-2003

no, but i was told by someone at Smith Diving that
its not really great if you are doing a lot of hard
swimming - the thing that keeps out the water
also restricts the air flow...
but if you are just tootling around its ok...

i have the regular impulse and it does a good job
keeping the splashes out... and i can get lots of
air when i swim hard...

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - igotoofar - 02-28-2003

That sounds reasonable.

I like the Idea of keeping the snorkel really simple.

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - Chris - 02-28-2003

I spent too much on a snorkel... went the dry route. It now sits in my dive bag collecting dust. If I did it again, I'd buy a cheap snorkel (unless I was going to use it for snorkeling).

I know you weren't asking for opinions, but I wish someone would have said this to me when I was looking Wink It's a nice snorkel that never gets used.

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - igotoofar - 02-28-2003

No, this kind of feedback is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - ScubaCenter - 02-28-2003

If you are looking for a snorkel for diving, the dry snorkels are a little bulky. If however you are looking for one for snorkeling or freediving the dry snorkels are great. The Impulse "dry snorkel" is a good snorkel, but it is not totally dry. These will stay dry until you go underwater with them then they fill up with water like any other snorkel. If you are looking for one that will stay totally dry the Ocean Master ones are the way to go. I have tried both and own both...

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - Chris - 02-28-2003

PS
My dry snorkel is a Genesis Mojave... stays dry, only 'problem' is when you're snorkeling and a wave comes up, the snorkels airway closes which 99.9 percent of the time is unexpected and usually during an air intake... having your air intake cut off, even for a second is a little freaky, but you get used to it. I guess I'd rather have that then a mouthful of water though.

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - ScubaCenter - 02-28-2003

Sorry, on my previous post I forgot that Aqualung changed the name on the old Impulse snorkel from dry to just Impulse and they have a new actually dry snorkel They are very similar to the Ocean Master one and they both work well. Oops..

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - tbrown - 02-28-2003

I am not a big fan of any snorkell, and the best one I have had to date I paid $1.50 for. The only time I use it is when I am doing a long Caribean surface swim, and want to check out fish on the way out. Otherwise, I don't use one at all. That out of the way, the dry snorkells seem to be as high on drag as they are on price. I would recomend getting the absolute cheapest snorkell you can find (that is not a soda straw) and use the money saved for other gear. Believe me when I say, it will be very easy to spend that money on something else that will not collect dust or take up space in your gearbag. Unless you are freediving, a snorkell is the one place that you can get by with low cost and performance. So if you feel you must have a snorkell, go to WalMart or better yet, find a $1.50 unit at a garage sale, and give people that do not SCUBA the chance to buy the Impusle unit.

Re:IMPULSE DRY SNORKEL - Freedive WI - 03-14-2003

Speaking for the freedivers on here I would NEVER buy a dry snorkel for freediving. I use a cheap rubber Sporasub snorkel for all of my freediving. You want something cheap and very flexible for freediving. A short tube with a wide bore is a plus.

I tried a dry snorkel once for freediving and was glad that I had only borrowed it and not wasted good money on one!

When you go underwater you end up putting pressure on your air spaces that will eventually create a painful squeeze- scuba 101. Wink

In scuba diving youy can just puff air into your mask or ears to clear it out. In freediving you can't afford to waste any of that precious air. You want to do this as little as possible.

The dry snorkel I used actually created a squeeze in my MOUTH! It even started sucking my tounge out of my mouth and down the tube of the snorkel- is this how Gene Simmons got started? Tongue

Go ahead and try this at home if you don't believe me. The only way to equalize that squeeze is by puffing air into the tube, which is the last thing a freediver wants to do, or spit it out and let it fill with water. Since most freedivers spit their snorkels anyhow, for other reasons, you might as well start with a wet one from the get-go.

It'll save you money too. ;D

Jon