MNScuba.com
Inexpensive Hydro testing - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Inexpensive Hydro testing (/showthread.php?tid=4907)

Pages: 1 2

Inexpensive Hydro testing - randyr - 03-12-2010

For years, I had been going to All-Safe in Minneapolis for tank hydros.  With practically every order, there was some kind of problem, unexpected extra charge, faulty parts, etc.    I got tired of their condescending attitude, long wait for hydros (2+ weeks) and ridiculous policies.  For example, this year they implemented a new policy that they require you to sign, stating that if they damage, destroy or even lose your tank, they are not responsible.  I’d love to have someone from All Safe explain to me why they are not responsible if they lose my property while it is in their possession.  That wouldn’t hold up in court for 1 second.  It is so ironic that they have a sign posted in their own office that states the 3 rules of business:  Take care of the customer, Take care of the customer, Take care of the customer.  They ought to read it once in a while.

This time, I went to Nardini Fire Equipment Co. in Shoreview.  They only charged $16 for a hydro, no hidden fees, I had the tanks back in less than a week and they treated me very nice.  Their number is 1-888-NARDINI. 

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - rcojr - 03-12-2010

When ever anyone comes on a new board and in their 1st post starts blasting one thing or business in favor of another,
the first question that comes to mind is.
So how long have you worked for Nardini?
Bob

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - randyr - 03-12-2010

I have no affiliation with Nardini whasoever.  I simply got frustrated with the lousy attitude and policies at All Safe.  I thought they were the only hydro tester in the area, which is why I figured they could get away with that kind of behavior.  However, I found on the DOT web site, you can search for hydrotesters in your area.  Nardini is one of them and they happened to be the one I went to.  There are others too.  I'm just stating that in my opinion, there is a better alternative to All Safe. The last straw was when they expected me to relese them from responsibility if they lose my tanks while they have them.  With kind of insane policy is that? 

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - arcFlash - 03-12-2010

Did the waver say anything about leaving the tank for months? Maybe the problem they are trying to fix is the long term liability of abandon tanks. Say you drop it off, get ill, die, and your family doesn't find the receipt for 2 years. Do they have to store it forever?

I don't use All-safe, my LDS does it for me. I pay and they take care of everything.

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - randyr - 03-12-2010

Yep.  Waiver stated that tanks not picked up are forfitted.  I can certainly understand that.  I can also understand that there can be cosmetic damge to tanks (scratched paint, little dings and such), but to ask me to agree that if they lose my tanks, they are not responsible is way over the top.  Arrogance, plain and simple.  For that and other reasons I am done with them.  Nardini is less expensive and faster anyway, plus they are friendly.

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - goaliemn - 03-13-2010

To throw another name out, without bashing anyone, I used Pro Hydro Testing for my tanks this month.  They came and picked them up, then delivered when done..  $25 a tank and included a VIP as well.

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - DetectorGuy - 03-14-2010

I have taken a tour through the All Safe facility in Wyoming, MN. They go through an astronomical amount of tanks per month. They have treated me well in the past and I have nothing bad to say about my experience. The scuba tanks they do are only a small percentage of thier business. Carbonic CO2 tanks, Medical O2 tanks, Acetylene tanks, Propane tanks, Argon tanks, and fire extinguishers are thier main business.

On a separate note, I have used Nardini and JN Johnson to test and refill our fire extinguishers used on construction sites and have had great service from both of them that way. I never thought of using them for scuba hydros.

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - popolarbear - 03-15-2010

well the nardi thing sounds like a deal. i dealt with them previously when i managed a small office building. they claimed that they had to do an annual fire extinguisher inspection every year. this was something i never signed on for, but somehow got from the previous management. somehow i don't think this was required, as other people(building management) i know don't do this every year. they at most swap out all fire extinguishers every couple of years.and not have to pay for an anual inspection every year! I'm not really complaing just mentioning that i thought it was strange at the time they never mentioned to me that i could have saved money and time doing it that way instead...... but anyways thanks for the tip.

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - popolarbear - 03-17-2010

you know, even though you sign this, i think according to Minnesota law, they would still be liable by law, also each tank has a unique serial number, you could register the apparently lost tanks as stolen. that way if they ever surface again, and there is a pattern of lost tanks allways surfacing in certain places it could be usefull in preventing more of that!

one last story,business that would clean large ornamental carpets. this place would send out a small van to pick up your 10,000 dollar carpet for cleaning. they would charge you a deposit of $70 or so to be prepaid. later they would call you back and say that the carpet fell appart in the cleaning machine, and that they will need $150 more to return you the damaged carpet, or they dint charge if they dispose themselves.  later found several other people that had the same exact results, no one actually got a carpet returned. were do all those expensive carpets go????

Re: Inexpensive Hydro testing - DiverQueen - 03-17-2010

E-bay or Craigslist?!?!