MNScuba.com
Tulum 2010 - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Tulum 2010 (/showthread.php?tid=4950)

Pages: 1 2

Tulum 2010 - DetectorGuy - 03-28-2010

Just touching base. We are having a great time. Only had the chance for free diving so far. Got in some great ones though. The wind has been fierce since we got here. Here are 3 photos of a cuttlefish we spotted:

Re: Tulum 2010 - DetectorGuy - 03-28-2010

The coral is actually in pretty decent shape here. Here are some of fish swimming around the coral:

Re: Tulum 2010 - DetectorGuy - 03-28-2010

Here are some of the more "loco" fish. The first one is a 4' barracuda that fell in love with the strobe on the camera. After it flashed he swam towards us about 6'. That's close enough for an unpredictable fish. The second one was some kind of ray that was resting on the bottom. The third was a school of about a thousand fish that circled us like a cyclone for about 2 minutes.

Re: Tulum 2010 - doug67 - 03-28-2010

Very nice John, looks like your having a good time.

Re: Tulum 2010 - scubafreek864 - 03-28-2010

Sure wish I was there!  :'(

Pics look great.  Keep them coming.

Re: Tulum 2010 - DetectorGuy - 03-29-2010

Last night we snorkeled in the Casa Cenote. The halocline was all over as tide was high and mixing it all up so the viz here was not that good. The photos are not that good but here are some: The first is of a crab that was defending his "turf". The second is of the rocks on the bottom of the cenote. the third is of mangrove roots along the edge. The fourth is of the swim-through. (You were right Freediver, it is a long swimthrough without a tank). looks like it might rain this morning but some of us could use a day in the shade. We have already carved up every aloe vera plant in site for the sunburn on a couple of the kids. I did bring down some duct tape and thought about taping my dive knife on a stick to get some fresh seafood. In fact I do have a leatherman plier and the closet has metal hangers so I might try to make a trident.
John

Re: Tulum 2010 - Indigo Blues - 03-29-2010

Glad to hear that you are having a great time! I think we all wish we were there too. Have fun and dive safe... Pat

Re: Tulum 2010 - DetectorGuy - 03-30-2010

We did a couple cenote dives today with Abyss Dive Center in Tulum. Both dives were at Dos Ojos cenote. The first one was 415 meters long and it was called the "Barbie Line". They call it this because at about the half way mark there is a toy alligator with a barbie doll in its mouth. This was pretty cool but not as cool as the second dive. The second dive was called the "Bat Cave". This dive was 320 meters long. The max depth was 29' but I think we bent the rules about cavern dives and it seemed that we were way farther than 200' from a direct ascent to the surface for most of the two dives. I took 392 photos during both these dives but I used the wide angle lens and a lot of the photos turned out grainy. I ended up with about 150 decent photos. The visibility was over 200' and probably closer to about 250'. The 15 watt HID worked extremely well and lit the back walls easily. The water was 78 degrees. Here are just a couple from Dos Ojos:

Re: Tulum 2010 - freedivernd - 03-31-2010

Never been warmer than 73 when I've been there.. nice.

Re: Tulum 2010 - DetectorGuy - 04-05-2010

Never been warmer than 73 when I've been there.. nice.
[/quote]

The Tusa IQ 700 showed 78 and the vyper showed 76 degrees.