MNScuba.com
ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... (/showthread.php?tid=5003)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 05-31-2012

Not quite following your line of thinking...

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Hydro - 05-31-2012

looks to be some crap being included in the official tally,

Here are the confirmed running totals as of today:
Detectorguy (John)--------------------3 boats, 1 fish house, 1951 Oldsmobile, & 1967 Camaro
Shooter (Nate)-------------------------3 boats
lahrcm (Curtis)-------------------------1 boat and 1 dump truck
doug67 (Doug)-------------------------1 boat and 1 slightly used van (Van was removed but debris field remains)
AandA (Art)-----------------------------1 boat
Max (Nates son)------------------------1 pontoon boat
Hydro (Joe)-----------------------------1 boat
Popolarbear (Stephan)-----------------1 boat
Trinity (Terry)--------------------------1 boat

1951 Oldsmobile, & 1967 Camaro = car

ill give you credit for the fish house if you can prove that it floated.

or i can start posting locations for junk i find that isnt a boat.   :o

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 06-01-2012

looks to be some crap being included in the official tally,

Here are the confirmed running totals as of today:
Detectorguy (John)--------------------3 boats, 1 fish house, 1951 Oldsmobile, & 1967 Camaro
doug67 (Doug)-------------------------1 boat and 1 slightly used van (Van was removed but debris field remains)

1951 Oldsmobile, & 1967 Camaro = car

ill give you credit for the fish house if you can prove that it floated.

or i can start posting locations for junk i find that isnt a boat.   :o

[/quote]

For the record... the running tally you quoted is not the current running total, as I have 5 boats and not 3. The rest of the quantities shown look accurate.

The challenge did start out with the very first post to include boats only and I did originally say that 'cars don't count'. If you read a bit further into the thread, you will see that around June 27th, 2010 Doug and Curtis found a 5,400 pound utility van and a 26,000 pound dumptruck. At that time we decided to open it up a bit and include these bigger, penetratable objects as 'ones for the record'. These are obviously not floating vessels but they are more penetratable than the 'non-documented shipwrecks' we have been including in this challenge. Entering an overhead environment such as these submerged vehicles and complete fish houses seem simple but can turn to tradgedy litterally in a heartbeat. I cannot stress the fact enough not to dive outside your level of training and experience! I know from first hand experience that penetrating the confined space of a vehicle is relatively easy, but they are not so easy to back out of. As far as the fish house goes it did float at one time (if you look at the original video I posted of it 2 years ago). There is a cable and tractor innertube at the one end that the owner put on it to make it float until they could recover it. The recovery failed and they knifed the innertube to send it to Davey Jones locker.

So if anyone finds something of interest... Post it up! If the item of interest is a boat or an object that has the possibility of being a penetratable wreck such as car, truck, plane, train, fish house, or UFO... It will get added to the running tally sheet. If it is just an item of interest that other divers might enjoy seeing, post it up also as an honorable mention. If any of the items found are later salvaged (such as the utility van) I will keep it in the challenge tally sheet with a note on when it was salvaged so that other divers don't waste thier time looking for something that is not there. If it is an item of interest that is found and removed right away such as a stolen car recovered right away, by a public safety dive team, there is no value of posting it in the challenge as there is nothing for divers to see at that location.

[/quote]

As far as changing the name of the challenge, I agree that it should be changed... but for a different reason. Nate (Shooter), Art (AandA), Brian (Monterey Man), and myself (Detectorguy) are no longer the 'Isanti County Sheriffs Department Dive Team'. So as not to discourage other divers from volunteering their time and resources to any organization as a dive team member, I will not go into the details here of why we are not involved anymore. If anyone has questions about that, or wants help with a search and recovery (public or private) please contact anyone of us. We are more than willing to share any information, and lessons learned to help out anyone who asks for help. We are still gelled together as a team, and we will continue to be a non formal dive team. Being the 'ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge' was started when we were still working for the man, I will keep the name of this challenge as it is. Any future projects that I am involved with such as this challenge will not reference any government organization if I have anything to say about it.

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Terry - 06-01-2012

[/quote]

Glad you had clarified that John, I was thinking Young Joe meant, ICSD 'special' challenge, along the lines of like the, special olympics, that made sense to me.

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Hydro - 06-01-2012

Well now the sheriffs dept is out, maybe you isanti guys could just go with Isanti County Scuba Team Divers.  :o

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 06-01-2012

I'm bringing my sister out to the lake tomorrow. She was with the day I found the two cars a couple weeks ago so maybe she will bring me luck again... I am anxious to try out a new twist on an old search pattern. I made some 4' long stainless steel rods with a loop on one end. My thought is that I can use one pushed as deep into the silt as I can, attach my cave reel to the loop and do concentric circles pivoting on this point. When the compass tells me I have turned a full circle based on North, I will let out a few feet and go around again. Kinda like our ice dive pattern but backwards. I can use the other probe to "feel" down in the silt with out spinning up the viz too bad.

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 06-02-2012

I went diving today at Blue Lake again. I used the stainless steel rod and the cave reel for controlling the concentric circle search pattern better and it worked very well when I was below the weed line. I found another wood boat today, and even though it is not in great shape... Its still a boat. It is 13' long and 3'-6" wide. The bottom where I found it was pudding silt about 3' deep but the stainless rod held tight for the pivot point. It is 300' from the boat landing, and about 40' toward shore from one of the two boats I found last Saturday. Here are the coordinates to this sunk boat: N45 28.254' W93 29.914'

Here is a link to the video of the boat I found today:

I also found a couple anchors and a small tackle box while I was doing those circles today. Here are a couple pics of the loot:

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 06-02-2012

CAUTION: The following content may be disturbing to some viewers. If seeing other crap other than boats offends you please hit the 'back button' and save yourself the agony. Viewer discretion is advised.  ;D ;D ;D

As of 6-2-2012 the running totals are as follows:
Detectorguy (John)--------------------6 boats, 1 fish house, 1951 Oldsmobile, & 1967 Camaro

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Terry - 06-03-2012

If seeing other crap other than boats offends you please hit the 'back button' and save yourself the agony.

Hey John, dont you feel bad about that Jeep, sure it isnt what alot of guys would drive, but it gets you around. Now in looking at that tackle box all cleaned up, I'm sure that was the one I lost some time back, I can see lots of my dads jigs in it too. So was it your sister bringing you the good fortune to find my tackle box along with those two anchors and a few dock boards or was it your diving skill with your new stainless steel rods? I'm not use to any bottom (well underwater anyway) that would be solid enough to be able to use a short 4' rod. I would need to make some maybe, 14' long for the real muck I normally jump in.

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 06-03-2012

Yeah the Jeep is getting an apple sized rust hole in one fender, and its a handfull to drive in a crosswind. But hey, at least it smells like an old wet dog inside  ;D. About that tackle box and all those mini archeology sites inside it Wink... I was sitting in front of the garage today soaking up the sun cleaning those jigs one by one and it hit me, I need to find a better way! I came up with a concoction for removing the rust stains from the lures and the tackle box. I squirted CLR kitchen cleaner stuff and shook in a couple teaspoons of "Iron Out". Closed and shook the box with the lures in it, and let is sit for 5 minutes. Pulled the lures out of the box and used a paint brush to scrub the concoction for a minute. Rinsed it out with fresh water and "Ta Daa!" New box and nearly new lures. Now I wanna do it with the other tackle boxes I have been finding. That 4' stainless rod held pretty good, but the whole process almost maxes out the task loading. Holding the line in my left hand to make sure I had enough tension but not so much that I pull the rod from the pivot point. Then I was watching the compass to see when I was heading North again to know when I was at a full circle and needing to let out 5' of line for the next interval (viz was 3' so 5' interval seemed right). Then I would see something just at the edge of my viz and to let out 3', look at the non-object, reel in 3' to get back on the right radius, continue the circle while adding or dumping air to accommodate the side slope... I was busier than a one legged man in a butt kickin' contest.