MNScuba.com
ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... (/showthread.php?tid=5003)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Terry - 07-06-2012

[quote author=Shooter link=topic=6187.msg41980#msg41980 date=1341626191]
It's friday and I feel the need to go find myself with some search patterns ;D. Going to try and grind out another wreck tomorrow!  Wink

DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!
[/quote

Well Nate, on behalf of all the G-men let me be the first to say, here's wishing you a great big GFY! Young Joe and I jumped Big Marine today and there's no finding yourself or anything else in that chithole, poor vis and mostly soft as can be.      T

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - freedivernd - 07-08-2012

That sounds scary...

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 07-08-2012

Nate and I went diving yesterday in Grindstone Lake in Pine County. We didn't find any wrecks but we did find an incredible dive site that I think we'll name "Twang", I'll explain the "Twang" thing in a minute... On the East side of the lake we found a nice wall that drops from 7' down to 65' deep. This in not just a vertical wall but there are caverns in the side of the wall that go in at least 12' The openings are small at only 4' x 4' but there are probably some bigger ones that we didn't see. It was kinda mooky as the vis was only 4' at the surface, but it opened up to 8' viz at 20' deep and up to 15' viz at 45' deep. I didn't have my finger spool with so I didn't go too far in these little caverns. Once in a while on the ascent, I found myself under a shelf and my SAC rate went to hell for a bit. We ended up finding some loot. Nate found a nice downrigger with a steel cable connecting the weight to it. He also found a couple lures. I found a fishing pole, a fillet knife, an anchor, and a couple lures.

I was swimming along looking for treasure on the ledges and I ran into this thin steel cable... TWANG! I saw it was running vertical so I gave a tug both directions on it, and thought Nate was at the top end of it. I followed it up to the top and found Nates lift bag attached to the crank end of the down rigger. I followed the steel cable down and found the weight wedged in a crevice with the fishing pole about 15' away. I pulled the weight out of the crevice and set it on a flat ledge and grabbed the fishing pole. The visibility wasn't the greatest but I will definitely go back and explore it some more. I forgot my GPS in Nates truck so I will need to post the coordinates to this weird dive site later. The video is kinda cool in a murky/spooky kind of way... (Mooky)  Smile

Here is a link to the video:

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Shooter - 07-09-2012

We tried to "grind"  ;D out some more wrecks on sat, but conditions were less than favorable. I had always heard about Grindstone lake, and finally got to dive it. Although we were unable to find anything to put numbers on the table, but we liked finding some pretty wild structure! Would recommend diving out of a boat on this lake as the access is pretty far away from any good dive sites. I would like to dive here again in the late fall when visability might be better. It was very mooky  :o. Especially after seeing the caves, overhead structure, multiple spider wire entanglements, and the stainless steel cable! As much as I wanted to recover the down rigger, I was very careful with it as I don't think my shears would have been able to cut through the steel cable.  I sent the body of the rigger up to eliminate the excess cable and was going to follow the cable down to free the weight. After I checked the tension on the surface it was free! John "found" it when I was at the surface ;D, and he beat me to its fishing pole! We did end up running into to each other a couple of times as we were working the ledge back and forth. The video turned out better than I expected. Nice job John! I would rate this dive a 5, due to vis, with a pucker factor of 5. I thoroughly enjoyed "finding"  myself on this dive.

Dive,Dive,Dive!

PS  1 canon downrigger for sale $100. Same item new $300. needs new base plate $25. everything works good

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - DetectorGuy - 07-09-2012

Coordinates to the top edge of this wall dive site are: N46 7.592' W93 0.180'. From these coords at 7' deep, Swim North over the edge and you'll be in 65' in no time at all. The wall seems to run perpendicular to shore like maybe it was a canyon with water running through it in the way old days. The trench starts about 20' from shore and gets wider like a bell as you head out into the lake.

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Hydro - 07-09-2012

Robert and I dove that lake awhile ago, there are also 3 fish cribs that eat anchors, and on the south end, there is a huge drainage pipe that runs to like 50' and golf balls a guy drives off his dock... we saw something like that wall you describe on the central east side.

I have video of that lake looking like mars, I think its on my youtube channel 'vacccine'

I would like to see the fish cribs and culvert, do have coordinates or a better directions? Planning on diving it again in the fall.

Watched John's video again... when he came up on me, I almost looked lifeless  :o. No wonder he flashed the ok sign! I must have been in a zen like state  8). Then the chuck taylor's came to life with the frog kicks!  ;D

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - scubafreek864 - 07-09-2012

The culvert is on the southeast side where the creek outflow is.  From there, the cribs are north of the culvert along the west side of the lake.  Just watch your depth finder, and you should be able to find them.  That is, if you have one on the boat. 

I do not have any coordinates for them. Sorry.  Tongue

Edit:  Sorry.  I meant to say on the southwest side, for the culvert.

How big are the cribs? Is that by the bible camp? What kind of vis did you guys have? Thanks for the intell  8)

Re: ICSD New Shipwreck Challenge... - Hydro - 07-10-2012

i think the cribs are 4'x6' they show up like crazy on a depth finder, at about 20 feet

i cant find the depth map we used, so i snagged a dnr map and have marked where i think stuff was.....

robert might have the real map we marked somewhere, the locals all know the cribs tho

heres the link to the large map: