MNScuba.com
Spring or Rubber Straps? - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Spring or Rubber Straps? (/showthread.php?tid=5195)

Pages: 1 2

Spring or Rubber Straps? - Raiderswim - 07-26-2010

I have a pair of Apollo BioFins which I love.  After 4 years with them, I had a rubber strap break.  Now I'm considering spring straps.  One Strap is 22.00 for rubber, but 63 for a set of springs.  How well do the springs straps hold?  How long do they last?  Any problems?  Spring or Rubber?  Please give me your input on either side of this issue.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - Dragon Eye - 07-26-2010

I switched to springs and personally they are really snug- just how I like them. It's a good idea to be able to try them on with your desired boot to get a good fit. (Yes that meant I hauled my drysuit into the store when picking them out.) With a drysuit it is much easier to get on and off and the same fins hold fast with wetsuit boots.  You may be able to find an off brand that's less expensive and will still fit your fins. Someone who has had them longer will have to chime in with their review as well. So far I haven't lost a fin yet  ;D

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - Hydro - 07-26-2010

i have bio fins with springs, they should only be about $30...

but springs will snap just as easy as straps... sometimes you can repair broken springs tho. i keep the straps for backup now.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - Raiderswim - 07-26-2010

Hydro,
Did you go with the Apollo spring straps or another brand?  Which brand?  Where did you get them for $30?  Leisurepro is $63 for Apollo and 35-45 for other brands.  Apolls you have to drill into your fins and mount them. 

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - Hydro - 07-26-2010

i got mine from smith diving as i recall,,

not sure the brand, they are not apollo, but i can switch back to straps since there is no drilling, just uses the fin tab the straps use.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - SCUBA Dog - 07-26-2010

i got mine from smith diving as i recall,,

not sure the brand, they are not apollo, but i can switch back to straps since there is no drilling, just uses the fin tab the straps use.
[/quote]

I got mine for the Apollo fins from Smith Diving. There is no drilling, they clip on just as the factory straps do. I am not sure, but believe they came from Innovative SCUBA Concepts. Several locals shops carry products from them.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - doogles - 07-26-2010

I switched to spring and only keep the straps for a back up.I'm getting a little less agile these days  Wink  and they make getting back on the boat on tropical dives much easier and easier for my drysuit up here.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - doug67 - 07-26-2010

love my springs.....wouldn't go back to sraps.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - jasondbaker - 07-27-2010

I've never heard of a spring strap breaking -- at least not ones made out of 302 stainless steel.

Re: Spring or Rubber Straps? - Hydro - 07-27-2010

the spring snapped once, but it was at the clasp, so i was able to fix it... it was over extended when i was putting on a fin in a boat.