MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5350)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - scubafreek864 - 12-06-2010

Looks like a pretty nice triangle hole to me. LOL.  ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 12-06-2010

Ok, so did you "cut" the hole or just jump up and down a few times? Wink
[/quote]

Kristi, I actually punched the hole using the bottom of Steves steel 72 w/o a tank boot to break the ice. You can see the ice thickness in the pics (1st and 3rd) where Steve is holding a piece of ice edgewise, it is approx 1 1/4 to 1 1/2" thick.
                I came across a formula, I seem to recall that the military uses for ice strength, of the square root of the weight (in tons), times 4, equals, the number of inches of clear ice needed to support, that weight. Using this formula:
                A fully loaded 18 wheeler at 40 tons would require 25.3" of clear ice.
                My Silverado that I use to pull the Impulse would require 6.3" of clear ice.
                Me, without gear, (150 pounds) requires 1.095" of clear ice.
                Me, with gear, (say 250 pounds) requires 1.414" of clear ice.
                Now, using this formula and numbers for ice thickness it provides do seem very conservative :-\, but then again the military has a job to do, and its not like their paying for anything that might be lost thru, too thin of ice. It does appear that this may be the bare minimum to support a given weight, it seems to hold true with a divers weight anyway. To continue to check on this formula I will need to wait for tonight or maybe even tommorrow night (they say a low of 3 below for tonight, Brrrr) since we only had 5 or 5.5" on Prior yesterday,  before I can get my Silverado out there cruising about when she reaches the full 6.3" I'll let you know how it works out.      TRINITY

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 12-06-2010

Terry use the bottom of a steel 72 to punch a hole. He couldn't concentrate the energy enough with a foot. So the truth lays someplace between cutting a hole and falling in.

Shooter, it shouldn't be long before I'm back in the Viking. I'm slumming in my other drysuit while the Viking see repairs.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Hydro - 12-06-2010

shoulda used a karate chop

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Dragon Eye - 12-06-2010

I asked because the rules on page one say "cut hole"  So bashing your way through isn't cutting. Technicality aside, this one would slide by me as you were appropriately icing it. Had you not had your buddy and safety gear you'd be down a ice dive for this contest.

Note for the end of the contest- if you can't "cut" the hole it doesn't count. Could still count for an ice dive, but if you locate any loot it's out.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 12-06-2010

Ahhhh, Objection your Honor,,,,,,
                           What if folks didn't own a nice chain saw like mine, or even a nice hand ice saw like Steve's, and used ice spuds to "chop" (lol or blast,  Wink) a hole, (not my ice spuds, cause I like to set mine free :'() the hole does end up, rather nasty, the equivalent of tearing a triangle out of a piece of paper rather then cutting it with a Fiskars. After all, what is a steel 72 scuba tank, other then an exceeding dull, rather short, but with a nice handle and dandy ballast,,,, chrome molybdenum, ice spud. In an emergency, Christi, any tool can be used as a hammer. We could of cut the hole, but we left my house without the saw, (we did remember the cooler of that Horny Goat lager, but being in glass bottles, it seemed almost suredly a waste, if not overly dangerous, to attempt bashing a hole with them) we had brought the icing lines as we were planning on finding some open water. That not happening, I looked about to see what we could use, knowing my Al 80s all had boots and seeing Steve's 72 didn't, and being steel, (it is 3 times as strong as an Aluminum cylinder), and it, not being mine, I opted to convert in into a spud, it worked dandy. The next thing we knew Steve and I were prowling the depths.
                        Now I do realize how I shot myself,,, I mean shot for the stars in having judges make these calls, (with all that icing experience of yours Honarable Kristi) Wink and I cant tell you how much I appreciate all the effort put forth. So, if I could at this time, approach the bench, heres a warm hug for you!  :-*   TRINITY

Ohhh, I have a joke for my judges down in the jokes section,,,,,

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Dragon Eye - 12-06-2010

So your argument is a hole is a hole?

I guess but I also wonder how long it would take to chop a two foot thick hunk of ice?

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 12-06-2010

Look at what Nate and Art had to do to cut a hole in Mille Lacs.

He cut that hole with nothing but a dog and and Ice scooper!
"You got to want it!" to cut 34 inches of ice with a 20 inch chainsaw.

I did the search:

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - scubafreek864 - 12-06-2010

Are we still talking about ice diving here??  :o   ;D   >Big Grin

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - popolarbear - 12-06-2010

some die hard tonka freaks might be able to track this spot by the partial tree in the background.

someone should make an underground dive spot maps with volutary areas that have been searched, so that we all know were not to go.