MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5350)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 02-09-2011

Steves right Nate! We're coming back large, and in chage, you know where to put your pity. Molly asked me why we were not keeping up with Neo and the other underdogs. I told her I didn't really want to go there, but she insisted. So I had to tell here, "anyone can dive out of a heated shack, spend an hour down knowing your coming back to no wind, no frozen gear, no cold temps. Just the warm humid inside, its like going back to the womb, Molly. Thats not for guys like Steve, Joe and I! I told her, hell even Neo sits in the truck". She understood. I mean we used a shack on Waconia, ( mostly just to help get us onto the TV,  NY Post and such) but it felt like cheating to me. I told her if I cancelled that one anchor I found that day (in staying with the true intent on the challenge, that is, diving in the cold) and the underdogs cancelled the numbers they pulled from their heated shack, I'd be in the lead now, with Steve close behind, and of course Young Joe dragging up the bottom with one.            TRINITY

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 02-09-2011

It was meant to be a learning experience, but you know what they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks  ;D. From the way you describe it, it seems like we are pretty smart about the way we go about doing things. Thank you, I'll take that as a compliment. As our experience grows, so does the amount of efficiency that we bring to the table. We are a smooth, efficient, well oiled anchor finding machine! We are starting to train Neo (he is the one)  to sniff anchors from the surface. That trick will be revealed when we shift into third gear! As far as you guys coming back large and in charge, I truly hope so. As far as where to put the pity, I will hang on to it in case you change your mind. 8)

PS.  I'm sure the judges would let your team add a category for being cold  :-*

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 02-09-2011

Going diving on Saturday with Nate and Art, hopefully North of Isanti County. We are deviating from 'the plan' and I don't know if Art or Nate have dove there yet or not, but for sure I haven't. Hope everyone has a fun weekend and loads up on anchors.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 02-11-2011

I was hoping the guy whose flashlight I found would swing by today to pick it up. Want to load up on the karma before tomorrow  8). I am first in dive rotation and in predicting at least five anchors. We will see what the [glow=red,2,300]master dive plan[/glow] has in store for me tomorrow :o be safe and have fun

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Jamison_00 - 02-12-2011

[quote author=TRINITY link=topic=6602.msg38856#msg38856 date=1297278139]

Trinity this is Jamison we met on Cedar Lake a few weeks back I was wondering if the invitation was still available to come dive with you I would be willing to forfeit all findings to a competing diver if that is allowed.  Hope to hear from you soon.  Email also is jamisonrichardson00@gmail.com

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Hydro - 02-12-2011

ALRIGHT GUYS!!  we are back in the cadillac!

we went out to [glow=red,2,300][shadow=red,left]******************[/shadow][/glow] lake and poked a few holes today.... here are the results... terry should have some more pics as well...

(judges, if you need to see any pics closer go directly to my flickr account )

steve with his signture anchor find.

(different angle)

the heavens have opened, and left me a solid deposit. (+5 anchors)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 02-12-2011

We told Young Joe, that today he needed to score or he was out. He could no longer continue to run with us dragging up the bottom with just one sorry anchor, well he pulled it off much to Steve and my amazement.  It also just dawned on me, that after Steve's wife Kristen renamed his dog, formally Scubbie-Do, to Oliver in honor of that great anchor finding diver John (Detecterguy) Oliver, we would finally break our loosing streak. Heres a few pics of today. The first being the only anchor I found on the first dive, but I was still proud, even with a Utah.  The second pic is Steve with his big haul of 5 anchors. I was now really feeling the pressure so I went and got 5, the third pic. Then I cut a hole with Joes big saw, a fine piece of equipment, the last pic. A total haul of 18 for the day!

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 02-13-2011

Impressive anchors! Looks like a target rich environment. My 7mm hood is off to Team G.

Our team did not fare so well yesterday. I picked a nasty location for yesterdays dive. We went to the South end of Knife Lake and cut our hole over the old dam site. There were stories from fishermen that the rebar and concrete left on the bottom was snagging anchors like mad. I figured it would be a good spot to go... WRONG! The location was about 300' upstream from the bridge and thinking there would be current, I plunge cut with the chainsaw every 20' on the way out to verify ice thickness. The ice was clearly getting thinner as we got near the rivers current. We cut the hole and were again depressed at the 2' visibility. Not a lot of particles in the water but stained dark, dark brown. We toyed with the idea about going to another lake and salvage the day, but decided to set up and try it. Nate jumped in first and descended to the bottom. He came back to the hole and told us that there were 3' long vertical rebars coming up from the bottom all over that were cut on a diagonal so they were pointy. He made a decision that I am very impressed with... He called the dive. I was next in rotation and after several warnings about taking it slow, I went in with the plan of following the ice sheet into the current and then dropping to the bottom away from the dam. This worked well... for a while. I found some trees sticking up from when the dam was in place and got snagged up on them about 50' from the hole. I worked through that and made my way upstream toward the dam. I found it with a massive pile of rebar and concrete chunks the size of cars. I was getting into looking for anchors in the rebar mess, when my inflator on the BC stuck and popped me to the ice sheet before I could unhook my inflator hose. I thought about continuing the dive for a second, but then came to my senses and went back to the hole. Art went last and he went out the other direction and crossed over the dam several times. He came back to the hole 3 times to drop off anchors. on his fourth time back to the hole he was scouring the bottom and came up to the concrete structure of the dam foundation and went up to get over it. Thats when he noticed he had a slab of concrete over his head (Double overhead environment). He backed out of that and got snagged several more times when he came back to the hole. Nate and I did not find any anchors. We wrote this location off as being miserable and dangerous to say the least. Here is a pic of Arts 3 anchors with the bridge in the background.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 02-13-2011

Of Course Jamison, come on with, I'll shoot you a PM on time and location later this week. Steve and I need to page thru, maybe even skip a few chapters of our 300 page Master Dive Plan, now that the season is more then half over, and we just yersterday turned page 14. I seem to recall that you cant formally enter the contest, after Jan. 1st, but your more then welcome to come jump with us.        Terry

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Dragon Eye - 02-13-2011

YEAH!!!  New Totals

John  24
Nate  17
Terry  15
Steve 14
Joe 6
Art 5