MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5350)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 02-19-2011

Nate and I went swimming at Green Lake today. We went out to the sunken Island as long as the fishermen had left that area. The weather was perfect. The viz was about 12' down to about 17' deep and then the viz was only 3' to 4'. Seemed like the water was turning over. The bottom there was decent with a few rocky areas. There were about 5 christmas tree type fish cribs. Nate found a 1/2 bottle of peppermint schnapps and two anchors. I only found one anchor. Pretty good day for diving. I am planning on going diving tomorrow at Forest Lake. I want to hit that area that we told Terry and Joe to dive.  They thought we might have given them a coordinate of a spot we had already picked through. I will let you know tomorrow what was there... If the weather cooperates. I can handle diving in a snow storm but the high wind makes setting up the shelter a real bearcat.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Hydro - 02-19-2011

nice try john... team G went out with the magnets and cleaned up "anchor-bottom lake"

enjoy our increased points:

i got 3 anchors (2 normal 1 utah that consisted of a grappling rebar and a coolwhip tub of cement)

terry grabbed an anchor, with his utah hook,, which we contend was in the lake from being used as an anchor..  we took a closer pic for the judges

so not to be outdone, steve decided to pull out the big anchoring skills, we had to cut a bigger hole than usual for supersized steve.

then steve ate a boat, but was full by the time he got to the anchor, adding one more to his total

then i got stuck holding the tv antenna while terry watched the news.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 02-19-2011

I'm catching you John! I think your at 25 and with my 6 from today I'm at 20. That should be good for second or first loser.

Good luck tomorrow. We called off our plan cuz of the storm and with the show next weekend I'm not getting in the water that I know of. I assume you guys will come down for the 'Really Big Show'

Tulli, sorry I missed you. We put the plan together late Friday and I totally forgot to post you. I owe you.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - tullibee - 02-19-2011

I know you guys just didn't want my competition! Smile
I left Terry a message this morning, but you must have already been headed out...  I had to settle for a Cabelas run with a buddy for excitement.  (looks like you guys had more fun!)

keep me posted for the next go-round!

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 02-20-2011

We could have used the extra diver. Yesterday could have been the first 5 hole day but we didn't know where to cut the 5th hole. Had we had an advance cutting man we could easily see 8 holes in a day with 9 or 10 in reach if we keep the pace.

We got the speed for it. We got to the site, and Joe was in his tank by the time Terry and I cut the hole and hooked up the lines. So 20 minutes for the first and I am sitting hole-side geared up to go as soon as he returns so turnover is less then a minute. It's finding the next spot that kills time.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 02-20-2011

I was a bit beat yesterday, lots of bull work this week, so rather then large and in charge, I was feeling small and stiff, so I thought I better have Steve carry me  :-\, as seen in Joes pic.

Interesting on the ice now, the snow is all gone and its just rough ice, so traction for both people and vehicles is tricky. This made it easy for people moving shacks off the ice or just getting them closer to shore, I think permanent shacks need to be off next weekend. Ice is holding up well though, still 22" on each of the 4 holes cut yesterday, heres Young Joe relaxing before the dive. The last anchor of the day, I was so proud I couldn't even look at the camera. Then Steve taking a pic of the afternoon scene with the sun not to far from setting, appropriate for this time of year as there is probably only 5 or so weekends of icing left.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - tullibee - 02-20-2011

one drawback for me joining you guys -- I think you'll need to cut a bigger hole!  I don't think my fat a$$ would fit that one Joe is using...  :o

sounds like we'll have some more snow cover soon - hopefully it won't amount to as much as they are predicting on StarTrib -- I like ice diving when there isn't snow left - it's so much brighter that way.

anybody thinking about next Sunday since Saturday is the show?  I know I have a social gathering scheduled Sat. night so I'll want to sleep in a little bit, but Sun. afternoon would probably still work.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 02-20-2011

Sure Tullie, Young Joe's the heavyweight in our group, at 180 or so, hitting it this hard 4 holes a day, were not cutting any more then necessary, but (for you) Wink we'll open it up a bit more, were game for Sun.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 02-20-2011

Nate and I went to Forest Lake today and helped Art with 2 new ice dive students. Brad was there also so it was a busy hole. Nate gave me a 26 second head start and then he followed. The wind was strong but the snow did not happen, at least until we were done. I found two anchors and Nate found one anchor. Nate found the bone first and he propped it up in the mud (like we do with beer bottles to show the other diver the area was covered). I swam up to it later and it had tipped over. I grew up butchering steers every fall and I have never seen a bone that big. It is about the same length as the oxen bone I found a couple years ago but twice or three times thicker.  ??? buffalo? mastadon? big honkin' cow? I dunno. I will get a picture later next to the oxen bone.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 02-21-2011

Woke up this morning to a bunch of snow and reports that a car fell through the ice on Forest Lake yesterday afternoon. We had 6 vehicles on the ice from 7:00 AM until about noon or 1:00 and the ice was about 22" thick where we were. I guess the Honda fell through in the afternoon. The car was not completely submerged and the 2 people got out OK. Here are some links to the story:

I am not sure where in the lake the car went in.