MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5350)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Hydro - 03-17-2011

hey john, i hear that once you take all the anchors out of a lake in winter, they don't repopulate until the next time the lake freezes over.... there many ice fisherman losing anchors in green lake over the week days?
???

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-17-2011

Good call!  ;D  but I thought you guys like to do things the hard way ???  ;D I think real G-man would man up & pull the sled's, while being cold and not having any shelter! I know that's what was said earlier on when we were using the wheeler  ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - scubafreek864 - 03-17-2011

That was before I was part of the G-Men!  ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-17-2011

we obviously don't dive the same hole, just the same lake  :Smile even though we have covered a lot of it we still have some target rich environments that we have yet to search. The crescendo to the [glow=red,2,300]master dive plan[/glow] is building!

You can check it out next year if you want to see how the repopulation is going

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Hydro - 03-17-2011

if the first guy doesnt pull out 4-5 anchors at least, we usually find a new hole unless theres something else worth seeing.

we use part of the challenge as training for doing search patterns. We usually do a pretty thorough search of the entire 300 foot circle. When we get the call to search for something, it will come pretty naturally after this year 8)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-17-2011

I have a large otter sled as well but if you got the toys to pull gear that's cool.

We have a shack, we just don't need it. We only put a shack up once this winter when it was -20 windchill and even then it was the 4th hole. It has to be cold before it's worth the time. We'll cut a hole and move within 20 minutes if it's moonscape/muck.

We go fast and lean and live with a little discomfort. A climbing instructor told me once when I was hanging off a cliff. "If you want to be comfortable, stay home, this is adventure". It honestly helps to think of it that way. Within reason, being a little miserable is fine. The g-men trade speed for comfort. With the extra hour, we may be at 6 holes a day. Terry's arms may fall off but the new saw cuts so fast it's unlimited.

;D ;D
I am starting to see the connection  ;D

I think the last time I intentionally dove without a shelter was with you on Green Lake when my neck seal leaked. You can still have an adventure without being miserable.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-17-2011

Misery is a toll you pay for real adventure. All the history books support this. If is wasn't a little miserable everyone would dive ice. Seeing how we only got 7 guys diving out of 1200, I'll assume the rest know misery is unavoidable.

If your going to only cut one hole and spend a long time just enjoying to diving, a shack is nice but if you want to keep things going you just can't be using a shack. Ideally, the first diver is waiting on a tailgate in full gear san fins, when the block goes down, he enters. Someone is already in a suit and their gear is near. At about 20 minutes they get into gear and sit next to the hole. Diver returns, swap rope, 2nd diver enter hole, 60 seconds or less. Find new site, 2nd diver returns, move ,cut hole repeat 4 more time. We are a machines. The only waste is all the double checks as all of us check all the other gear several times,,, valves, hoses, beaners... but that's something you do. I usually check the carabiners like I have OCD.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 03-17-2011

Ya, before Robert offered to pull with his 4 wheeler it was all by hand, but we can do it, the G-men, were like machines with no disconnect, or nuclear reactors in Japan, we just can't be, shut down. Heres some pics from Elmo of Steve and I pulling the sled (with snowshoes) all the way across the lake.