MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5350)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 03-21-2011

Hi Grumpie, I am not exactly how many anchors were recovered in this challenge but I think it is 205 anchors. So if the anchors weighed 10 pounds each it would be just over a ton of anchors, if they averaged 15 pounds each it would be just over 3,000 pounds, and if they averaged 20 pounds each it would be just over 2 tons of anchors. Not all of these were real anchors, some were coffee cans full of concrete with a ring in them (Steve calls these Utah anchors).
My estimate is that they averaged 15 pounds each with 1/3 of them being "Utah anchors". This would be about 2,000 pounds of scrappable steel or cast iron anchors. At the current rate of $300 per ton, that would nearly be enough to buy a high pressure 120 cubic foot Worthington steel tank. With the seven divers in the competition, we could each use it one day of the week and it would all be good. The trick is that I get to use it on Saturdays! ;D ;D ;D (maybe I have too much time on my hands :Smile )
John

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-21-2011

When were we not friends ??? Did I miss out on another group hug?  ??? I figured that sting  was just pride messing with you again.  ;D I expected the flames and had on my welding helmet so I was protected from the arcflash! rotflmao

I'm not innocent, and its first place loser to you, you are second place loser, Terry(cat got his tongue) third place loser,both of you placing below team isanti.  Wasn't it an individual competition? wtf happened to the judges  ???

ps how did you like my avatar?  :o & awe ;D ;D ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-21-2011

John, we jumped Calhoun together when you got the bike and we searched for Joe. He's always swimming off... >Sad

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-21-2011

Maybe we all need 1st place trophies. John 1st, Nate 1st Loser. Me 1st Gman Winner, Terry 1st Gman Loser, Robert 1st not playing, Joe 1st from last.  :Smile

Where's Kristi? We need a count so I can order all the 1st place things.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - tullibee - 03-21-2011

at least I still have last place locked up!  I declared in at the beginning, but had too much going on this winter to come out and play much, so only got one actual dive in - and called it almost immediately due to leg a cramp, so my total of ZERO wins last!  (how's that for spinning a twisted web?) 

Team Isanti lost a tiny bit of esteem in my book by hiding a dive day, but since I also like it when loopholes in rules get played, they gained it back anyway!

I have enjoyed watching and hearing the banter back and forth thru all this!

Team G - thanks for letting me come out and keep you company a couple times when I wasn't up for diving, and thanks for putting up with my slow a$$ when I did come out to play! 

I was going to suggest a potential weekend outing at my place up north - but it looks like schedules and a potential lack of good ice might interfere with that idea, but we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.  My plan was to invite both teams - I've got lots of bed space and a hot tub, so significant others could come play as well!  Might have to make it later this spring, but was hoping to try my lake thru the ice to check viz since it hasn't been that great the last few summers... 

Thanks for the entertainment - I'll happily dive with any of you anytime!  (but I know better than to try to sling more BS than you all!)  Wink  Wink

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-22-2011

strat·e·gy   /ˈstrætɪdʒi/  Show Spelled
[strat-i-jee]  Show IPA

–noun, plural -gies. 
1. Also, strategics. the science or art of combining and employing the means of war in planning and directing large military movements and operations.
2. the use or an instance of using this science or art.
3. skillful use of a stratagem: The salesperson's strategy was to seem always to agree with the customer.
4. a plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result: a strategy for getting ahead in the world.
I was playing the game in 2 different categories. The first category was the most obvious, finding and recovering the most anchors. The second category was most bottom time. It was also clearly stated in the beginning that there were teams of 2. How you can claim to win any of the categories is beyond me. I didn't win any of them either, but I did achieve my goal of our two-man team placing before you can be your two-man team.

I'm sure you would feel different, if you hadn't been outplayed. Look at the smug look on your face in your pictures when you thought you had beat us. Don't try to water down our achievements. You lost fair and square. Accept it and move on. If the shoe was on the other foot, that is what I would do. Losing sucks. I was there with John every step of the way. He earned it! He put in the extra time in creating the [glow=red,2,300]master dive plan[/glow]. He has better navigational skills,searching skills, and planning than I do.  I can admit that. I was able to learn and adapt along the way.

It is a simple game. I harbor no feelings of ill will towards any of the competitors. There were plenty of shots given and taken throughout the competition. They were both entertaining and amusing. With each one the stakes were raised. It was good learning experience for me.  It  reminded me what I love most about diving, to escape from the rat race of  life, with all the noise, stress, responsibilities, and deadlines. To effortlessly float through space and see and enjoy the beauty of our underwater world.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-22-2011

And your post is why they disallow showboating in the endzone so your hardly any better. Seam to my that much pride is one of the 7 deadly sins.

You were not in the loop with John and I last night so talk to your buddy before you flap that soup cooler.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-22-2011

Yes, I do have a brother. But he isn't a diver and doesn't pursue the thrill of victory like I do. You would probably like him as he wouldn't be a challenge in this competition. The best I can hope for is to find a matching suit diver(do you really connect @ the exhaust valve or is it a little further down the suit? :o) with the same fierce level of competition and diving ability! Its easy to win when you can hand pick the competition, and you still only managed first place loser?  :'( Remember Steve, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery... ;D

My offer to drive was not an attempt to "suck up" as anyone reading my posts can clearly see. As the event organizor, I am sure the fall from the top will be especially brutal. In a show of sportsmanlike conduct  ???( after doing multiple victory laps  ;D) I was merely offering my condolences. If you do take me up on the offer, I will be sure to have a recording of Queen We are the champions for the ride, followed up by a rendition of 100 trophy anchors under the ice wall, You pick one up, show it to the judge, 99 trophy anchors under the ice wall.... if there is still is time, probably some Jackel  :Smile
because I'm an ice diving lumberjack baby...... I'm going to cut the competition down to size  Big Grin Big Grin

ps the worst part of all the smack talk is the bar is getting set pretty high! and for any ones feelings that are hurt, this is all in good fun. maybe you should chug on over to mamby pamby land..... ;D tissue?  ;DHeading to deer camp to hug some trees and bond with nature, so you will have all weekend to come up with a good response.  ;D

[/quote]

guilty as charged  ;D as you can see by my above post, I was planning  victory laps way back when.  ;D we weren't playing for money, merely bragging rights. At least allow me a couple of days to relish the victory. I think I've earned it  ;D. what is a soup cooler?  ??? remember, this is all in good fun.  ;D 

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-22-2011

What do you use to cool down soup?  :-X

Fair enough. That horse isn't going to beat itself but I think John needs to raze you about losing in the same hole. You got out hunted in your own shack. I guess seeing how Terry unknowingly gave you the idea to put one in the 'bank' we beat our self. Which only suck on account of we almost winning. Up to then, I was ok running a close race.
To taste it and lose it is worse then losing flat out.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 03-22-2011

I tried to attach a 6 MB PDF file showing my 24 logged dives but the file size was too big to attach. I split the log into two halves and it was still too big. Shame cuz it would be neat to compare notes from team to team. plus I have the coordinates to each site we hit so that in the future you or anyone won't need to bother looking there. I will get you guys copies even if I have to attach them to a carrier pigeon ;D