MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5350)

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-28-2011

I didn't log any. I have no idea. I got a minimum of 24 dives but some didn't log as the computer was frozen and never turned on. Terry got 31 and I should be within 2 or 3 of him but I'll never know. I wasn't playing for time.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-28-2011

We methodically logged our minutes. I should say John methodically logged our minutes. It is really nice to have your dives logged. This is probably my weakest area in my dive profile  :-[. My longest dive was 98 minutes.  :o after that dive, I needed to turn on both burners of the heater  Wink

[/quote]

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Deep Thought - 03-28-2011

I've seen Dave in a skirt, not a pretty sight!  :o

Good to see you at Ghost Ships, and don't try to count Scooters Bar as a dive, no matter how "anchored" you were....

Keep up the good work promoting local diving, and I'll look for the real numbers to the Como.

Ron

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-28-2011

I log summer but ice is a problem, I'm not always deep enough for the computer to record. I error on the conservative count and don't count lots of dive for whatever reason. If it's less then 20 minutes I never log it.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 03-28-2011

Thanks Ron, I appreciate it.
                                        I log all  my dives, always have, I'm on my 6th - 2.5" x 3 ringed book of them, I find it a super handy rescource to go back on over the years. I ended this icing season (last thur.) (with a personal best for the season) as I suspect we all did, with 31 ice dives and a total of 568 min. and 35 anchors. Not enough to win, place or show, but enough to know I scored 70% of the anchors of the winner, in 50% of the time. There's no shame in being beaten by a master, even one with only 180 dives. I had a good time, and look forward to next years icing season. Now its time to swap out the 32" bar for a 24" on my Huski, and soon time to pull out the Impulse for its 17th season with me.            TRINITY

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - DetectorGuy - 03-28-2011

I have always been a numbers guy. I am a firm believer that there is strength in numbers. I gotta say Terry, those numbers don't lie... You were more efficient than me. You pulled on average, one anchor every 16.2 minutes you were on the bottom. I was not so efficient. I pulled one anchor every 22.2 minutes on average. Nate pulled one every 24.5 minutes he was on the bottom. Now Steve... when we mentioned in the beginning about seeing who would get the most time under the ice...We did not mean immediately under the ice Wink. I think the anchors were all on the bottom, so I don't know why you stayed so shallow your computer didn't even turn on  Smile. Just messing with you man, but I wish you would have logged them so I can play with the data.

So the average dive time for Terrys 31 ice dives was 18.32 minutes per dive. The average dive time for my 24 ice dives was 46.25 minutes per dive.  Nates average dive time for his 21 ice dives was 47.9 minutes per dive, and if he wouldn't have called the dive after a couple minutes at Knife Lake he would have averaged 50.3 minutes per dive.

There was not any documentation as to how many Utahs were found by each versus how many real anchors (without re-reading this whole thread) but the ratio would be interesting to know. I am guessing 25% Utahs and 75% Real. Smack talk aside... I know for a fact that I would not have dove as much as I did this winter if you guys weren't such fierce competitors. I'm just glad that Scubafreek864 didn't get into the challenge until way late. He was picking up speed like a runaway train. Stay cool guys.
John

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - arcFlash - 03-29-2011

I may be able to get close with Terry logs and the pictures to jog memory but I know I didn't get 31 and I have 24 that I know for a fact. Guess is 28. I got 40 anchors and probably averaged 18 minutes as well. If I couldn't haul it in 20 minutes I let someone else go in. My BT is probably very close to 480. (swam like a beaver), My longest was 46. Many were 12-16 minutes. The rest were 20-24.

Terry also had a few 'fun' dives on tonka that were not for the comp. take them out and the metrics get better.

If it wasn't for the comp we still would have dove every weekend but we'd have better times and less holes. How many did we cut Terry? It must be 50 to 60. I liked the challenge as well but it distracted me from enjoying some of the cool dives sites because it was blank and we left right away.

If we do anything next year we do a Mille Lacs lake weekend anchor hunt. 2 days only and camp out on the lake. There is plenty of water for everyone to come out and find a honey hole. Goal needs to be 209 anchors in one weekend. Group photo with 209+ anchors.

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-29-2011

So then its a clean sweep by the visiting team!  ;D  :o & AWE!  ;D. Sorry, Had to get in one last shot.  :-* ;D

All smack talk side, it was a great idea, great season, with high entertainment value! Thanks to all the team G. members for keeping us on our toes and giving it back to us with both barrels. Special thanks to Terry, whose witty poems and smack talk kept me highly motivated! And of course Steve who made the rally.  Without his competitive spirit, the challenge would have been mild at best. I learned a lot and had a good time. We even managed some good pr for the team with the flashlight and tackle box recovery.  8) I look forward to diving with you all without the competition.  ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Terry - 03-30-2011

Working here at a delightful gentlemans, "establisment", (by the Taget Center) today,  I've been thinking of a new poem, to cap off my first icing challenge. I want everyone to enjoy it but, I may need to offer a couple different versions, one mild the other more, well uncooked, perhaps I could just change a few lines. I dont want to change the names to protect the innocent, well cause, then there wouldn't be any. Any ideas?    TRINITY

Re: TRINITY'S 1st Annual 2010/2011 Icing/ Anchoring Challenge - Shooter - 03-30-2011

Why don't you save it for the awards ceremony? When is that by the way? :-*
The offer I made to be your designated driver that I made for you back on 12 November still stands.

Yes, I do have a brother. But he isn't a diver and doesn't pursue the thrill of victory like I do. You would probably like him as he wouldn't be a challenge in this competition. The best I can hope for is to find a matching suit diver(do you really connect @ the exhaust valve or is it a little further down the suit? :o) with the same fierce level of competition and diving ability! Its easy to win when you can hand pick the competition, and you still only managed first place loser?  :'( Remember Steve, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery... ;D

My offer to drive was not an attempt to "suck up" as anyone reading my posts can clearly see. As the event organizor, I am sure the fall from the top will be especially brutal. In a show of sportsmanlike conduct  ???( after doing multiple victory laps  ;D) I was merely offering my condolences. If you do take me up on the offer, I will be sure to have a recording of Queen We are the champions for the ride, followed up by a rendition of 100 trophy anchors under the ice wall, You pick one up, show it to the judge, 99 trophy anchors under the ice wall.... if there is still is time, probably some Jackel  :Smile

because I'm an ice diving lumberjack baby...... I'm going to cut the competition down to size  Big Grin Big Grin

ps the worst part of all the smack talk is the bar is getting set pretty high! and for any ones feelings that are hurt, this is all in good fun. maybe you should chug on over to mamby pamby land..... ;D tissue?  ;D

Heading to deer camp to hug some trees and bond with nature, so you will have all weekend to come up with a good response.  ;D

[/quote]