MNScuba.com
BP and WINGS or BC - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: BP and WINGS or BC (/showthread.php?tid=554)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

BP and WINGS or BC - Earl Cutter - 03-31-2003

Hello everyone,
I am new to this sport and to this site and am enjoying both,
My long term goals include tech diving and I want to try to avoid replacing equipment as I advance. So I was hoping to get anyone else's opinion on particular set-ups.
THANKS ! Earl

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - jasondbaker - 03-31-2003

Your stated goal pretty much answers your gear question. I see a backplate and wing in your future.

If you are unsure about specific gear go to your diveshop and rent a backplate setup. I know that some diveshops, such as Scuba Dive & Travel, have programs designed for recreational divers that would like to adopt some "technical" diving gear (see their H2 program).

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - tcjtn0 - 03-31-2003

Yes sir...I switched from BC to BP/W config. Jason is right , call SD&T and ask about their H2 program (Scuba Dive and Travel). I liked the "get rid of the BCD shimmy" and the compactness of the setup. (In my case)

Tanx...Jean Smile

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - Freedive WI - 03-31-2003

Back plate/ wing and don't look back. Wink

Jon

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - nomads - 03-31-2003

Earl, Why don't you plan to come to Crosby on 4/26-4/27 and check out everyone's setup?

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - jasondbaker - 03-31-2003

Jean, you switched to a bp+wing? What did you buy?

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - Earl Cutter - 03-31-2003

I really appreciate everyones feedback I also called Richard @ SD&T and intend to go in and talk to him soon seemed like a real helpful guy.

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - DanL - 03-31-2003

Jean,
Wow - BP and wing? When? I'll have one soon too - can't wait.
On the drysuit - DUI 350TLS probably the way to go. Expensive, but look for a deal. Scuba Daddy's has some rental TLS's in good shape for under $1k.
Note - I'll have some spring straps for you soon....see your messages.

Earl,
Any tech interest at all, go BP/wing and no extra junk. The DIR model is a simple, efficient equipment configuration and will save you a lot of trial and error.

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - tcjtn0 - 04-01-2003

Its a single/tank config with a OMS bladder (the smaller of the two...I am not sure of the size but it has plenty of lift for what I need it for). Backplate is alum and 4 D-rings on the webbing harness (I even have some nice and comfy shoulder straps). Waiting for some upper weight pockets to come into SD&T. Rich has been super in setting the system up for me. I am very new at this so forgive me for not giving you all the right details on my setup. I have to get my stuff out of the console and onto my wrist but at least I can clip my console onto my harness now. And of course , long hose. I really love having my alt A/S right where I can get at it. I have been doing a lot of Out-of-Air practicing so I can get that reg exchange automatic (Its getting there).

Sorry for the lengthy statement. I like nomads statment, come up to Crosby and see !!!!

Thanks again...Jean ;D

P.S. And thanks Dan!!!!

Re:BP and WINGS or BC - Earl Cutter - 04-03-2003

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with deep outdoors BP/Wings
Thanks, Earl