MNScuba.com
Diving Cozumel - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Diving Cozumel (/showthread.php?tid=5642)

Pages: 1 2

Diving Cozumel - Rickybobby - 09-25-2011

My wife and i are going to Cozumel in November, our hotel is on the south end of the hotel chains. Just curious if anyone has some advice on diving in that area?

Thanks!
~Rick

Re: Diving Cozumel - tullibee - 09-25-2011

my advice -- "Have fun!"

if you have specific questions, I'm sure there are plenty of us that have been there so ask away.

other things I'd suggest:
rent a car and drive to the other side one day - the view from Coconuts is nice, Mezcalitos has always been a nice relaxing stop, and the couple spots on the south end are pleasant too.

if heading to town for dinner, Prima has good pasta, but not the cheapest place around.  El Moro is good, but way back in town.  I've always enjoyed the Red Snapper Charlie Style at Casa Denis.  Guidos is decent as well.  Plenty of other places to try - don't be afraid to venture off the beaten path -- there's a great roasted chicken stand near 30th and 6th or 8th.

who are you diving with?

Re: Diving Cozumel - Rickybobby - 09-26-2011

Thanks for the advice Tullibee!  I will be diving with my wife.  Would you suggest renting the gear, or lugging my gear with?

Thanks again!
~Rick

Re: Diving Cozumel - jasondbaker - 09-26-2011

I always recommend that people bring their own gear on dive trips.  The diving is generally much more enjoyable when you are comfortable with the equipment. 

Re: Diving Cozumel - Qix - 09-26-2011

Bring your own gear if you can. I recommend carrying onto the plane what you can (regs, computer, mask, compass, camera, wetsuit, etc all fit in any carryon). Watch out for over weight baggage charges since scuba gear adds up fast. The southern dive sites are the best so you should have nice short boat rides to the best sites! Later in the week, you may want to request diving Maracaibo or Punta Sur. Definitely have a surface signaling device (safety tube) since there are currents, can be some waves and the reef is out a ways from shore. Don't leave CC's unattended on the dive boat. Get a witz case so you can bring them with on your dive. Gloves and knives are not allowed, however a lot of people carry small BCD knives and no one says anything. Gloves used to be allowed on the wreck dive and night dives. Not sure what the air temps will be when you are there, but you might want to bring a small windbreaker/raincoat which is usually most handy after the dives are done and if its windy or water is spraying over the bow on the rides in/out. Definitely get into town, especially for a few evening meals! Crossing over to PDC for a day can be fun (I really liked Coba).

Have Fun!!!

Re: Diving Cozumel - Rickybobby - 09-27-2011

Thanks again for the replies!!  Do you think a 7MM suit is going to be too much? That is all I have, it's a farmer john style and I'm thinking of bringing just the top portion. I don't plan on diving the caves..

~Rick

Re: Diving Cozumel - Shooter - 09-27-2011

I just returned from FL and I only wore a 1mm full length skin. I would get a 3mm shorty if I were you.

Re: Diving Cozumel - jasondbaker - 09-27-2011

I'd recommend a full 3MM.  This is a suit you can wear in a wide range of conditions at tropical destinations. 

Re: Diving Cozumel - arcFlash - 09-28-2011

I used a 5mm in Bonair (84-88) and I was fine on 100 minute dives. My wife used a 7mm and she was happy. I can always pull the neck open and flood the suit to cool down but warming up isn't so easy. Air consumption is better when your warm so if you want better BT, stay warm.

The wife and I are pretty lean. Being small mammals we don't retain heat very well so if you hold more weight you may roast in a 5 but I'm good.

I dove with shooter and he was good and I was freezing. I had to borrow a wet hood from the captain just to stop shivering.

Re: Diving Cozumel - dwitt2n - 09-28-2011

....all of the above - with an 'over emphasis' of making sure you & your wife have a 3/4 length windproof jacket / windbreaker. You'll be surprised how chilly 80 degrees can be on the boat going to your next dive site. I would also put La Mission (the one on the outskirts) on the list for dinner sometime. Very nice restaurant and be sure to have the flaming after dinner coffee...have a great trip....we're probably heading back (4th time) in March....