MNScuba.com
TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge (/showthread.php?tid=5676)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - popolarbear - 02-13-2012

that hole of hydros looks tight!

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - Hydro - 02-13-2012

Woah!, I hope you mean 'the hole I am jumping' looks tight.. let's not turn this into 'what goes on in the isanti county ice shack stays in the isanti county ice shack' thread  :o

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - Terry - 02-13-2012

Exactly Joe, you look out for that Isanti Co. stuff, things are different up there, not like where you live in Uptown. :-\
                  Didn't we go down this (small hole) road on the 1st icing challenge? Yesterday I cut 6 holes, we each dove, two virgin holes. The holes do get a little smaller as the day goes along, my arms get a little tired dealing with that huge tool of mine. I think that pic with Joe was the 5th hole of the day, but if you look at the splash, it wasn't like Joe was a cork going back in a wine bottle, more like Joe was doing a tight formation giant stride, into the vortex. Personally I like a tight hole, the tighter the better.
                  What I noticed was strange yesterday was the amount of ice cracking early in the day maybe 10-12 clearly audible cracks a min. Ice was cracking so much I thought I was in Hennepin Co. When submerged in the shallows, (less then 8') there were some you didn't just hear but could feel in your lungs, like being shoved up against the wall, that was kind of unique.
                  Heres a pic of Young Joe when he didn't have that much icing experience, and was still diving as a tandem and we were still augering corners, out on White Bear.           

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - scubafreek864 - 02-13-2012

All that cracking was from more ice forming.  That is music to my ears.  When you don't hear the cracking, is when I get a little concerned.  Look at the holes we made.  The ice was forming in them before Joe got ready to dive.  I don't really see a real concern right now with the ice in Hennepin County, other than trying to keep the idiots from driving into open water, or thin ice, in the channels.  I guess you just can't fix stupid...  :Smile

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - DetectorGuy - 02-13-2012

Funny!  Smile looking back through this years challenge photos, it looks like Team Gilligan is flying the flag at half mast... Are you still mourning last years ... non-victory?  ;D ;D ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - Terry - 02-13-2012

No, No, don't you kid yourself John, look closely, thats actually a cell phone or radio tower in the background, Molly is typically in charge of displaying the colors, and is still pretty green at proper protocol, about seeing to it nothing is in the background, as those flags fly, large, and in charge.

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - Shooter - 02-14-2012

Woah!, I hope you mean 'the hole I am jumping' looks tight.. let's not turn this into 'what goes on in the isanti county ice shack stays in the isanti county ice shack' thread  :o
[/quote]

Joe, just ask youself W.W.H.B. do?
Of course it is! He spends all of his time diving with Terry, the guy who always talks about big tools! that is to help compensate for other shortcomings  :o  >Big Grin  ;D

Yes, we did go down that road last year! I guess its true, you can't teach on old dog new tricks...Six holes, and not one thing to show for it? I tried telling you last year, work smarter not harder. Especially now as you start approaching the senior citizens discount, and have become a historical artifact yourself! Research the location twice,cut once. Enter the [glow=red,2,300]master dive plan[/glow].........

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - scubafreek864 - 02-14-2012

Shooter,

We just aren't saying anything about what we have found.  We will leave that for the last day of the challenge.  Wink  ;D  This is in fear of what the archeological gods  will do, or say about us.  :Smile   >Big Grin   ;D

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - Shooter - 02-14-2012

;D ;D ;D
:-X :-X :-X
Good thinking! There are probably a number archaeological elitists that are monitoring these threads with upturned noses!  Will there be shock & awe?  8) Who are the competitors this year? Wink

Re: TRINITY'S 2nd Annual 2011-2012 Icing Challenge - popolarbear - 02-14-2012

that big carp you saw last year probably is also in the magical over 50 years old. there was also a 48inch specimen shot in bald eagle lake that was probably from original stocking program by the DNR roughly 1912 or so, and was a lost specimen from the original Ashgrunder German blood line that died off in Europe during WWII. as genetic pure blood brood stock it was worth 7 figures alive and would be sellable for cash within days on the international market.... incidental for those not familiar carp is the world most domesticated fish. it is also claims the place for highest volume raised for food(not in the usa), and i think widest global distribution. it was also one of the first animals cloned. Japanese koi carp, which are genetically selectively breed originally from the German lines, are all sorts of colors, and thru special selection, are coming close to 1.2 meter length. some exceed $1 mill on the retail end. also they can be taught to do tricks with basket balls! carp are the only Minnesota fish that can navigate and remember lake contours and use them to navigate. domesticated specimens can recognize its owner much like a dog.