MNScuba.com
lake minnetonka - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: lake minnetonka (/showthread.php?tid=5957)

Pages: 1 2

lake minnetonka - grumpie - 01-20-2013

be careful there are a lot of open spots and ridges on the lake. all the accesses are now being patroled and checked.

Re: lake minnetonka - popolarbear - 01-20-2013

iv'e herd people talking about springs opening up in spots. but isn't it the clear ice thats causing the deep water near shallow flats to produce sun driven currents.  im curious to the eco bay sinking, was it close to that point, or what?  the priests bay channel, that made common sense. many of the channels open up and refreeze several times thru winter. tonka is the only lake in metro with channels that open up. should probably be fenced off during winter. most of the lake is 15-16 inches!

Re: lake minnetonka - Terry - 01-20-2013

Grumpie, my friend,,,, "patrolled and checked for what?",,,, We have been ice diving Minnetonka for well over a month now, every hole we cut yesterday (Sat. the 19th) on the west upper lake had 15-16" of clear ice, plenty of ice for any one ton truck. I don't want to add common sense to any of the sheriffs, "checks or patrols", but when are they going to start actually advising people about driving on the ice,,,(people are going to anyway,,,,),, here, let me give them a few ideas, STOP DRIVING THRU THE CHANNELS, add that one to the law books, make it illegal on Minnetonka, anyway. IF,,, your going to drive on the ice, (because, people are going to anyway) disconnect your seat belts, its not a legal roadway anyway,,, (my thoughts and prayers go out to the little girl) roll your windows down, unlock your doors, drive slowly, follow the path of another vehicle. Anyone going out on the ice has a means of cutting thru it, (not really sure why else you'd be there), if you have a question, cut a hole out in front of you, see how thick the ice is. Use the military's formula of, the square root of the weight in tons of your vehicle, times 4, to get the number of inches of clear ice (AS A MINIUMIM!!) to support a "moving" load at 5 MPH, NOT parked! This will give you a good starting point.
                    Ice is a fluid medium  (no pun intended) subject to many factors, such as, springs, currents (between bays) or otherwise, outflow for heated sources, (power and sewage plants) fish activity, seiche, (changes in barometric pressure) a real concern on large bodies of water, like Minnetonka, especially combined with the large number of bays connected with small narrow channels, increasing the current flow, wind, snow cover, and tides (not here, strictly an ocean concern)
                    Rather then put up a scare tactic signs like, "Ice is never safe", how about provoiding some actual information,,,,,,,                             Trinity           

Re: lake minnetonka - scubafreek864 - 01-20-2013

8)  I couldn't have said it any better.

Re: lake minnetonka - Shooter - 01-21-2013

Grumpie, my friend,,,, "patrolled and checked for what?",,     

[/quote]

If you are a diver, they are probably checking for "mini archaeological sites" aka anchors, crow bars, or classic car parts!  ;D rotflmao  ;D

Re: lake minnetonka - scubafreek864 - 01-21-2013

Dang it.  We have been noticed!  LMAO!  ;D  >Big Grin  ;D  >Big Grin

We better stash the loot till this spring..  It should have died down by then.. lol

Re: lake minnetonka - aknelsonone - 01-21-2013

Grumpie, my friend,,,, "patrolled and checked for what?",,,, We have been ice diving Minnetonka for well over a month now, every hole we cut yesterday (Sat. the 19th) on the west upper lake had 15-16" of clear ice, plenty of ice for any one ton truck. I don't want to add common sense to any of the sheriffs, "checks or patrols", but when are they going to start actually advising people about driving on the ice,,,(people are going to anyway,,,,),, here, let me give them a few ideas, STOP DRIVING THRU THE CHANNELS, add that one to the law books, make it illegal on Minnetonka, anyway. IF,,, your going to drive on the ice, (because, people are going to anyway) disconnect your seat belts, its not a legal roadway anyway,,, (my thoughts and prayers go out to the little girl) roll your windows down, unlock your doors, drive slowly, follow the path of another vehicle. Anyone going out on the ice has a means of cutting thru it, (not really sure why else you'd be there), if you have a question, cut a hole out in front of you, see how thick the ice is. Use the military's formula of, the square root of the weight in tons of your vehicle, times 4, to get the number of inches of clear ice (AS A MINIUMIM!!) to support a "moving" load at 5 MPH, NOT parked! This will give you a good starting point.
                    Ice is a fluid medium  (no pun intended) subject to many factors, such as, springs, currents (between bays) or otherwise, outflow for heated sources, (power and sewage plants) fish activity, seiche, (changes in barometric pressure) a real concern on large bodies of water, like Minnetonka, especially combined with the large number of bays connected with small narrow channels, increasing the current flow, wind, snow cover, and tides (not here, strictly an ocean concern)
                    Rather then put up a scare tactic signs like, "Ice is never safe", how about provoiding some actual information,,,,,,,                             Trinity           

[/quote] Well said, the danger is well known
Andreas

Re: lake minnetonka - scubafreek864 - 01-22-2013

On a sad note:

Re: lake minnetonka - scubafreek864 - 02-02-2013

Yet, another idiot!

Re: lake minnetonka - popolarbear - 02-02-2013

WOW! 14th car in tonka this year! is that a record? i dont understand why the couple stayed inside the car for an hour?