MNScuba.com
spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot (/showthread.php?tid=6064)

spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - popolarbear - 08-26-2013

stick(500) was having trouble finding good fishing (and actually i was also) so we checked out one of my best spots. we stopped after getting a dozen. this summers been slow on fishing. largest was JJ's stone cold hit in the brain. everyone got fish.

.....and as usual server will not let me add a picture

stoned it in the brain! didnt move, just sunk once hit. awsome shot by JJ we dipped under into a deeper spot with shadow to find this one hovering off the ground, it turned looked at as and swam off slowly. jj got perfect head shot. some of the smaller ones earlier got . I do like the double band railgun.

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - freedivernd - 08-26-2013

nice fishing.. I haven't been out much around here either, but we always seem to find some big buffalo fish when we do.
Fred

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - stick500 - 08-26-2013

Poporlabearr got us on the biggest fish I've seen all summer- couldn't think of anything I'd rather be doing on a hot and nasty Aug. afternoon.

The last one I hit was the biggest of the day for me and it took off with my shaft! We had just been discussing on the way out that I'd never lost a shaft and then that happens. I figure the knot came loose (I tied it in '10) and I never bothered to check it. That was a tough lesson and all you fellow spearers should check your knots now and then as I will be doing from now on.

Would have been a $60 loss (replacement point and shaft) but I still have an extra shaft from a spare Sawed-Off Magnum I've been using for parts.

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - stick500 - 08-28-2013

New weapon for carp hunting!

1975 Soviet underwater dart gun Smile

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - freedivernd - 08-28-2013

Interesting article on the Russian underwater gun. cool. I'd like to have one!

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - popolarbear - 08-29-2013

Still cleaning the "Love" out of my boat. my place smells like carp 7 days later. wife is very happy about that. at first notice of fragrance, i thought i had a dead mouse in the wall or possibly the freezer went out of power.
....its all good though.just about caught up to cleaning, and ready for next weekendSmile

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - stick500 - 09-02-2013

so Popo did you get out this weekend?

I'm still outta commission waiting for a shaft slide to come in the mail but went snorkeling in Minnehaha just for fun on Sat. when it was still sunny and 90

found a new fun thing to do- scrape and smash a bunch of zebra mussels on the rocks and a whole mess of baby carp (appear to be this year and last year's batch) show up out of nowhere and suck them all up

getting them all fattened up for the '16-'17 season!!

RE: spearfishing 100lbs spot on best metro spot - popolarbear - 09-04-2013

took afew more pals to my secret spot. and a second spot. second spot vis was low...due to..... tons of carp! kinda scary in scuba gear. we were being bombarded by carp swimming and shooting everywhere. did get some video of a musky that i just happened to look up and notice a musky hovering just above us. i shot off after it and got video of my swiming behind it! of course with go pro the file exists but crashed. so its in a pile of videos that i need to recover!
back to the secret spot. had to twist my pals arm to do this spot last. good thing. vis went up to around 25ft this last weekend. unbelievable. you could see the bottom of the lake from surface! it was almost too clear. very cool dive/snorkeling. we shot two and saw two monster eyes...dark jet black.
vis i attribute to wind from the north.(in this spot) rest of lake vis droped last weekend.
just say the when and we will hit it again. or other spot
stef