MNScuba.com
Scuba Flag??? - Printable Version

+- MNScuba.com (http://www.mnscuba.com/forum)
+--- Thread: Scuba Flag??? (/showthread.php?tid=747)

Pages: 1 2 3

Scuba Flag??? - ANewHope - 06-12-2003

Time for another newbee question. I am just starting to go out diving more, now that I have my own gear. I was remembering somthing in my PADI class about divers needing to have flags. So, I poked around with my good friend Google and discovered what the MN regulations are for SCUBA divers.

REGS:

Anyway, what I want to find is a flag, as described above, that floats on the surface, but is attached to me with some sort of a spring-loaded real that will take up the slack as i go deeper/more shallow. In the research I've been doing I cant seem to find aything like this. Ive seen the little plastic thingys that look like a kite string holder, however they look useless.

Any Ideas? I'd love to hear them. Smile

Re:Scuba Flag??? - rudolph_medic - 06-12-2003

I have used the "Kite Line Holders" for years. I have an aluminum one which is smaller than the larger plastic ones, but they work well- you just have to remember to play out the line as you go otherwise you will sink your flag. ;D I have used it with both a small flag float to a large innertube float. I haven't seen any automatic reels though- sounds like a great idea- mabye someone here could come up with something?

Re:Scuba Flag??? - jasondbaker - 06-12-2003

I'll second rudoph. I have one of the smaller alum handles for holding the line. I think that is the way to go. Keep It Simple.

Re:Scuba Flag??? - ANewHope - 06-12-2003

Im still new to SCUBAing but it would seem to me that it is rather annoying to have to fiddle with rewrapping the line as you assend, or is it not too bad?

Re:Scuba Flag??? - mixelpix - 06-12-2003

Wouldn't a simple reel work better than those batwing kite string holders? I know there is an issue with making sure the reel isn't attached to you or your gear but it seems to be basic gear and handles the line with less complexity.

Re:Scuba Flag??? - cdtgray - 06-13-2003

1. Reel versus using kite-style holder

-A reel is standard scuba equipment, but I would much rather use a kite-style holder for two reasons. First is cost. Even small reels get expensive - you could buy a whole flag/float/line/holder for the price of a small reel. Secondly, using a reel requres two hands, you can use the kite-style holder with one. That makes it better for use with the ascent when you have to have a hand to dump your bc and perhaps be able to extend your arm to dump your drysuit effectively.

2. Rewrapping the line

-It's actually pretty easy due to the size and the shape of the standard float line holder. Also, if you wrap the line at a moderate pace and ascend no faster than you wrap, you will find that you're ascent rate will be right where it should be.

Re:Scuba Flag??? - tcjtn0 - 06-13-2003

I agree with most on the kite-style holder (mine is plastic , not alum...) I guess I have gotten so used to wrapping and un-wrapping the rope that it is kind of second-nature. You would be surprised how fast you can wrap that line up. The only thing I don't like about the plastic ones is that it tends to be slightly positively buoyant. If you ever let go , up it goes , albeit slowly. I am still trying to figure out why flag ropes just love trees so much!!! Gee , maybe its the flag operator , not just the rope!!! Wink
Ask Chrisw , she knows. (She was a witness at my last tree-eating flag episode at Wazee)

Jean

Re:Scuba Flag??? - jasondbaker - 06-13-2003

You can wind the line much faster using the small aluminum handles. I recommend keeping the line taut as you dive so that you minimize the chances of becoming entangled in it.

Re:Scuba Flag??? - LKunze - 06-13-2003

Also regardless of what you use for a handle the float makes a difference too. The inflatable innertube style flag floats are best since you won't pull them underwater when trying to keep the line taut like with the little cheap foam floats like I unfortunately have at the moment. :Smile

Re:Scuba Flag??? - Dano - 06-13-2003

I am assuming the inner tube style flag/float is harder to pull around than the styrofoam float style. Would that be right? Or is there little difference? Which style would you choose?

Dan