Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Lights
06-08-2007, 04:31 PM,
Dive Lights
I'm looking into getting a dive light and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to get for general local dives.

I currently seem to be leaning towards the UK Light Cannon but want to make sure it isn't going to just scatter with all of the particles in the water and thus defeat its purpose.  I believe the price is about the most I'd want to spend but I've heard that there's no comparison to the non-HID lights.  So basically I'd just need to know that it doesn't scatter and that it isn't overkill.

An LED light like the Shockwave LED or UK C8 e.L.E.D. Plus seems nice as it would also have long burn times and be more indestructible (though I'm not worried that the Light Cannon is going to blow through bulbs or anything)... but I've heard the LED lights have a really wide pattern and thus don't work as well.

Otherwise, there's the good old incandescents like the Shockwave II and UK C8 that are much cheaper (and bulbs are cheaper but do also add up).

Any suggestions?  What is everyone using?  Do any of the shops rent the Light Cannon or other lights that you may suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Nick
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-22-2007, 04:54 PM by LKunze.)
Re: Dive Lights
I'd recommend an HID can light.  The pistol grip dive lights while much cheaper aren't nearly as good or user friendly.  You'll pay more for a can light but you'll be much happier in the long run.  As soon as you dive with someone with an HID can light with a nice focused beam you'll be wanting to sell that cheap pistol grip light in a hurry.  It's a huge plus to be hands free when it comes to lights as well.  Most of my dive buddies including myself are using 10 watt HID lights and they do pretty well around here.  LED technology is catching up but still isn't quite there in terms of "beam throw" as HID is but the color temperature is equivalent.  A good focused beam is much better than a wide beam for our local dive conditions and allows for better light signals and buddy communications in darker waters.  Here are a few recommendations for HID primary lights.

As far as backup lights go the Salvo Rat Lights are pretty cool.  I've got a couple on order that I'm replacing my Halcyon Scout and Gulftex Photon Torpedo with.