Remember me
Lost Password Register

Paul Lake
08-29-2005, 09:17 AM,
Paul Lake
My wife and I dove Paul Lake (near Perham, MN) yesterday.  It was a great dive!  Very clear lake (even with boats buzzing around) and tons of fish. 
We only went to about 50ft since there wasn't much to see after about 30, but that lake did continue to go deeper fairly close to shore.  We dove right off of the public access.  I would recomend it for anyone up for the drive (3+ hours from the Twin Cities).
08-29-2005, 10:14 AM,
Re: Paul Lake
I agree, Paul Lake is pretty nice.  I wouldn't make the long drive up there for a day trip just to dive Paul but, it's worth a weekend trip if you dive some of the other lakes up there as well.  There is some pretty good diving up there.  I haven't been up there since freediverND's get together a couple years ago.
08-29-2005, 02:37 PM,
I dove Paul Lake about three weeks ago with a group from the Fargo-Moorhead area. I had heard the visibility was great, but to my suprise, it was only 10-15'. To the left of the access is a steep decline which was nice since it acts as a quasi wall (never been diving on an actual wall). I didn't get past about 25' since I didn't have a hood or gloves with. The nice thing I noticed about Paul lake is that it has a wide variety of fish that are abundant throughout the 20-5' area. It wasn't hard to spot five different types of fish in five minutes or less. There was a lot of vegitation which of course contributed to this. I'd definately go back for another dive. I really want to try a night dive because right as I was coming up the shoreline to the access, I noticed a lot of bullheads where making an appearance.
09-12-2005, 12:34 AM,
A new Fargo diver!  great.    Drop me a line if you like. I have a place about 5 miles south of Paul, and have hit many of the lakes in the area.      There are probably 10 nice lakes  (clear by Mn standards) within 15 miles of Paul.
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
09-18-2005, 10:51 PM,
FARGO???
Er , Don't ya know , fer sure , you betcha dere !!!
Gads , brings back memories...
(maybe nightmares...)  :o

I got a chance to dive off of the shore line to the right side of the access (West maybe???) from a resort on Paul a couple of years ago ...
I noticed it had more vegetation growth at the 20-40 foot level than off of the access did.  (Sandy bottom vs. a silt bottom etc... )
I do remember having up to 30 feet of visibility at times too ... Especially on a couple of night dives we did ...  (beautiful) !

I know I would dive Paul in a minute if I ever get back up in that area ... Very nice dive ...

Jean  Wink
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
09-26-2005, 04:56 PM,
I went up to Paul last Thursday for a dusk dive and night dive. The vis was around 15-20'. During the night dive we saw a huge Crappy. I had a hard time realizing this thing was a Crappy it was so big. :o :o I had to have been bigger than a regular sized frisbee. I enjoyed seeing all of the Bullheads come out at night. Those things are everywhere. Yet another great dive at Paul Smile