Remember me
Lost Password Register

St. James Pit
08-24-2011, 10:03 PM,
St. James Pit
Has any one been to St. James Pit recently?  If so, how’s the visibility?  Heading up north tomorrow for a few days, and hope to have a few good dives.  - Kirk
08-25-2011, 04:55 PM,
Re: St. James Pit
If anywhere this year there could be god viz....St. James would be my best hope!
08-25-2011, 06:02 PM,
I was up there at the beginning of Aug, and it was great!  Great, as always.  Pretty consistent viz, for the most part.  Found some cool rock formations at about 45 feet a ways west of the boat landing.  Nice paved lot now, too!
08-29-2011, 10:48 PM,
Thanks for the replies.  I got in a couple good dives on Friday, and a couple more on Sunday (Saturday went hiking with friends).  Had the place to myself on both days, other than a few kids swimming and the typical locals.  The visibility is much better up there than it was back in June (as is typical with this mine).  Not the best I’ve seen it, but certainly better than anything you’d find in Crosby, Wazee, or Superior; probably at least 60 feet horizontal visibility.  When the sun comes out, the whole place is crackling, even at depth.  I think I might try to get up there again within the month of September for a couple days.  Oh by the way, on Saturday I drove past the dive shop in Tower; looks to be closed; so I wouldn’t anticipate finding convenient fills near the Mesabi Range anytime soon.  - Kirk 
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM,
...60 foot vis...?...wow.....that's worth driving to (southern Wisconsin here)...where abouts is St. James...?...thx.....
Dive Safe
08-30-2011, 01:15 PM,
Look on the divestes link, its north west of duluth  :-\ about a 3+ hour drive from minneapolis.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-30-2011, 02:10 PM,
Yes, it's a long drive, but it's an outstanding place to dive!
The farther back you can look, the farther forward you will see . . . Winston Churchill
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM,
Google Map Aurora MN, and look at the lake just north of town...that's the one.  Good viz, and 20' walls to explore.  It's a lot of fun diving there, and a two step walk into the water from your vehicle!
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM,
....thanks much to all....I'll put it on the list.....  ...maybe....  yet this summer / fall......
Dive Safe