Remember me
Lost Password Register

new life at little long
09-22-2003, 07:24 AM,
new life at little long
I was diving little long lake on saturday and saw something I've never seen before. There were hundreds of little tubes, about one inch long and about one millimeter diameter. They almost looked like they were part of a plant root or a little twig. I think they were hollow. On one side, there was a tiny black thing, with a couple little arms poking out of it (they were really small, I had to look close to even see them). They were walking around on the bottom of the lake. At first, I just thought I was seeing stuff when these little twig things kept moving around on the bottom. I made sure I wasn't somehow causing them to move by swimming next to them, but that wasn't what was happening. My buddy also saw them, so I know I'm not seeing stuff. Their were lots of snails around too and these things were crawling on some of them. Does anyone know what these are or have seen them before? My only thought was that they might be baby snails or crayfish. I've never seen a crayfish in little long, so my only idea is baby snails, even though they look nothing like them.
09-22-2003, 07:33 AM,
Re:new life at little long
Baby snails look like little snails and baby crayfish look like little crayfish... sounds like it was maybe it was some kinda bug.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-22-2003, 08:51 AM,
Most likely a caddis fly nymph. They built little tubes as shelters.

A worthwhile purchase for diving is a book on north american fish and one on invertebrates.

JoelW
09-22-2003, 09:01 AM,

Any suggestions? I know what most fish are around here, but an invertebrates book would be interesting.

Scott
09-22-2003, 10:10 AM,
Scott,

I have a couple at home that I picked up from Amazon. I will get the names when I get home. I was looking for something pretty user friendly when I bought them. I am by no means an expert bug person.

JoelW
09-22-2003, 11:32 AM,
Has anyone seen one of those giant waterbugs on a dive yet? I've only seen them on land but apparently they dive underwater and take an air bubble with them. They're pretty nasty, they eat fish, frogs and even birds occasionally. :o
Here are some links.

09-22-2003, 07:28 PM,
One of the books that I have that is pretty good is

A Guide to Common Freshwater Invertebrates of North America

J. Rees Voshell, Jr.