Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poor Viz this time of year...?
05-03-2006, 07:56 PM,
Poor Viz this time of year...?
What's up with that bad viz?  I figured everything had settled down over the winter.  Ore-B-Gone was the worst I've seen it in the three years I've been diving.  Yan, at Innerspace mentioned something to the effect of "turning".  Something to do with the cold and warm water reversing from winter to spring?  Also, leaching water from the thaw?  We had a hard time keeping four divers together.  I stopped to watch some crayfish for just a few seconds, and suddenly I was very lonesome! 

I just got some new drygloves, and a Whites thermal undersuit, and am dying to try them out.  Gotta get out  there Sunday, methinks!
05-04-2006, 10:48 AM,
Re: Poor Viz this time of year...?
There has been a lot of suspended solids in the water lately.  Part is due to the rain run-off and part has to do with the spring turnover (although much of this mixing is already done with.

In spring as the ice melts the cold dense ice water sinks and mixes with the warmer water below.  This mixing does stir the water a fair amount and can cloud the water.  As the water warms and the cold water settles the mixing slows and the solids will settle out.

Another cause is the wave action.  There are no waves all winter so sediment can settle in areas that are typically pounded with waves all through the open water season.  Now that the waves can stir things up again, that sediment is now being stirred and will take a little time to settle out.

Give it a little time of no wind and no rain and things will start to clear up again.
Adam<br /><br />www.AdamJohnsonOutdoors.com