Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cozumel
03-03-2006, 12:10 PM,
Cozumel
I am leaving on my first trip to cozumel tomorrow and i am looking for recommendations on dive sites, restaurants, things to see and such.

Feedback welcomed. Chime in.......  ;D
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
03-03-2006, 02:03 PM,
Re: Cozumel
Any of the dive sites are great!  who are you diving with?  where are you staying?

here's a short list of Restaurants:
Prima's (italian - fabulous, love the cajun shrimp and scallops or the combo pasta. also good calamari),
French Quarter - all good, can't think of anything extra special,
Casa Denis - Red Snapper Charlie Style (although this wasn't as good last year as the year before)
El Morro - shrimp on a wire (back in the hood - about 65th & Juarez area)
roast chicken shack at 4th & 30th (pollo ala Lena or something like that)
Especia's (not sure if they've opened back up in new location after hurricane yet)

rent a car and do the other side of the island one day - Coconuts has a great view, Mescalito's has good margaritas and "cheeseburger in paradise"
(no power over there, so daytime only)

take an afternoon walk along the shoreline north of town square and check out the life in the tide pools.  I took several pictures of fun stuff in them.

holler if you have any other questions - I need to go back and answering posts like yours gets me dreaming about it!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
03-03-2006, 02:13 PM,
Try to stick with an operation that will take you to the deeper dive sites.  Those are still in great condition.  Many of the shallower dive spots are beaten up pretty bad.  I love pretty much any diving in Cozumel.  Jump in and let the current do all the work.  It is drift diving at its greatest.  As far as restaraunts go I would also highly reccomend Primas if you like Italian and don't mind spending a little more.  Best I have ever had.  Another favorite is La Chosa which is about a block from Primas.  If you want to meet a great guy go to Tony Romes.  Many cabbies won't take you there but it is a close walk from downtown area, right next to Black shark dive.  Tony is the owner and he is a really great guy to talk to.  Costa Brava ialso really good place to eat.  Hope you have fun.
03-03-2006, 02:36 PM,
Bring back lots of photos and information for us on your diving. 8) 8)  Many of us have trips to Coz coming up and would welcome this information!!
03-04-2006, 03:59 PM,
I guess the original poster is gone by now, but, for anyone interested there are maps available for this part of Mexico. IE. Cancun, Playa, Coz and the Mayan Riviera. These maps are full of info. including resorts, restaurants, dive shops, the cost of taxi's, bus and other activities. They cost about $8 and usually arrive within 3-4 days.

BTW, I second the idea of renting a car and going to Coconuts on the east side. A great view.

Dan

03-05-2006, 08:45 AM,
I gotta agree the Can-Do maps are GREAT ;D.  These maps are actually BETTER than some of the travel guides Smile.
03-05-2006, 10:42 AM,
most all of the diving there is great!....let the water do the work....you will no doubt find your way around the island....its not really that big...going to the other side is a must......also...rent a 4 wheeler and run the trails on the other side......its guided, but makes for a nice day....
have fun
deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-05-2006, 02:14 PM,
I was at Coconuts friday  ;D. We always take a day and drive around the island. This time we were doing some Geocaching in the area.
The little bar on the beach, near the light house trun off is under reconstruction. The one across the road was open.
                                                        Al