Remember me
Lost Password Register

Long Lake near Itasca
05-15-2006, 05:35 PM,
Long Lake near Itasca
Just completed my open water dives over the weekend at Long Lake about 17 miles south of Bagley, near Itasca.

Was a lot of fun.  Viz was about 12-14 feet, water temp was 50F.  Once the water got in the wetsuit, that initial shock, it was fine...never got cold.  Had a max dive to 28 feet during one of the tours between skills.  Didn't see much for fish, other than minnows and other small bait fish.  Did see a number of crayfish, and some snails...some were the size of a golf ball, that was pretty cool.  Lots of logs from the logging days too.

Looking forward to my advanced open waters in two weeks at Crosby.
05-15-2006, 07:53 PM,
Re: Long Lake near Itasca
scott.

CONGRATULATIONS........  isn't it the most excitement you had in a long long time. 

Maybe we'll meet up at Crosby someday. 
My friends and I dive with GUDC  Going Under Dive Center,  Maple Grove, MN.  Many of our divers are up in Crosby every weekend. 

See you there.  GETS LOTS OF TRAINING...      keep taking classes.

MaxFactor. 
05-15-2006, 09:35 PM,
Thanks MaxFactor.  and it is very fun, was looking forward to that weekend for a while....then it was over...what a let down, didn't want it to end.  LOL

I'll be at Crosby the 26th, with my AOW on the 27th & 28th.  Would be great to be able to get a dive or two in (air permitting) when I get there on the 26th.

I already have my deep diver specialty scheduled for August over in Lake Superior.  Probably try and get a night diver specialty in over the summer too.  Then, I really want to get Ice this winter....in the wet suit.  Figure I'll do a rescue diver course next year.

I have most of my gear, still need to pickup a tank and some lights though.  oh, and a few extra pounds of weights.  :Smile

Going to try and get at least 2 - 4 dives in each month, and hopefully more....but at least the 2-4 each month with some dive alerts.
05-16-2006, 03:02 AM,
Scott.....    Congrats again on your enthusiam.  Training is paramount, and as one of my dive buddies says,  along with training is DIVING....  my advice  get as many dives in as you can to fully familiarize yourself with your limits, your equiptment and you are very comfortable.  Pick up 2 new tanks and get yourself a 30cuft.  pony/safety bottle and take it with you on all of your dives.

with regard to ICE Cert.    I got mine thru GUDC this past year. 

The one thing you absolutely need to make sure is that you have a cold water reg. and don't breathe thru it till your in the water and submerged.  Too many people take that safety breath or two even though the instructor just told them not to, and you have a freeze up underwater and thats no fun.  Believe me I ' ve seen it happen to several divers.  Free flow there make air go bye bye.     

I was walking upside down on the ice toward the whole
Next time I will give the signal and have them tow me in so I can water ski upside down.
see ya diving. 
Maxfactor
05-16-2006, 07:31 AM,
Scott: Great going in getting certified. I will be going to Long Lake 1st weekend in June for my open water dives. I see that we live in the same town, maybe later we can get together and ride share to the some what local diving spots.

Don

05-16-2006, 08:32 PM,
MaxFactor,  I have an Apeks ATX-50 reg and an Egress Octo....both should be ok for cold water, like ice, from my understanding.

I'll remember that...don't breath from it till under water.  Smile

So, did you have anyone there to take your pic walking upside down on the ice?  ;D
05-16-2006, 08:39 PM,
DUnder, you should have a great time!  Water should be a little warmer, and maybe the fish will have come up and you'll get to see them.

Cool, found another person on here that's local to me.  I'll PM you my info.
05-17-2006, 04:06 AM,
Scott......  No pictures of the walk upside down on the ice.  But the County Sheriff (Buddy= ice dive student with me)  he and I both did it. 

Of course then when you decide you want to swim you have to dump all of your air out of your dry suit  so that your not pasted to the ice.    Its the same kind of proceedure that you do when you  get your dry suit cert.  (a quick flip-summersalt  type.....dump air and reestablish your bouyancy. 

The apex 50 you have is enviormentally sealed.  I don't have the time to check out your other reg. but you should do it.

anyway... later.  I got to get ready for a meeting this morning.

MaxFactor
05-17-2006, 09:39 PM,

Bummer about not having pics, that'd be pretty cool to have some pics of that.

Quote:The apex 50 you have is enviormentally sealed.  I don't have the time to check out your other reg. but you should do it.

Yes, the egress is good for cold as well since it's attached to my 1st stage that's enviromentally sealed.

When I was looking for gear, I mentioned I wanted to make sure I got a reg, etc that would be ok for ice diving, and this combo is what they picked out for me.