Remember me
Lost Password Register

square lake check outs
07-20-2008, 04:38 PM,
square lake check outs
I spent sat and sun at square lake doing ck/o. had the pleasure of sharing the dive space with Jim and a group of newbies doing ck/o also. they were having a good time and were well organizes. The water was 77 degrees vis was about 6 feet except where the tadpoles were and then it got real cloudy. The group was from northland divers, good job Myron.
07-20-2008, 05:57 PM,
Re: square lake check outs
77 degrees huh.

I'll be out there for open water next weekend.  I'm not so sure I need the 7 mil suit, hood, and gloves that the LDS is renting me for 77 degree water.
07-20-2008, 07:30 PM,
Trust me, when you get below the thermo-cline you be very glad that you have them. its arround 60 degrees down there, but to each his own
grumpie.........
07-20-2008, 07:33 PM,
You might be able to pass on the hood and gloves, but you will appreciate the 7 mil suit when on the platform and in the water for an extended time. If you dip below the thermocline, you will probably wish you had the hood and gloves as well.

07-20-2008, 07:38 PM,

Yes you will need the suit. The hood and gloves may be optional, however, if you get into the thermocline you'll wished you had it. The thermocline is around 18-20' and most check out dives dip into those depths.

D
07-21-2008, 10:00 AM,
I absolutely agree.  When I was doing my fin pivots for my check-out, the thermocline was about a foot off the platform floor.  I didn't have a hood or gloves (I'm very warm-blooded), but I was very glad for the 7mm wetsuit.  Seriously... that thermocline will make you very happy that most of your body's covered. 

Besides, you've got enough task loading going on without freezing your butt off.  Smile
07-22-2008, 11:20 AM,
It was cool to finally put a face to Grumpie!!!!!  Now I know how he got his name  ;D  Seriously, it was a great morning both days and we all had fun.  Nice to finally meet the famous grumpie.

Oh, it would have been nice if my dry suit wasn't really a wet suit :-[  Stupid wrist seal.

To mattd, if you like mister misty freeze headaches, no hood is the way to go.  We didn't take the students below the thermocline so it was ok, no one was shivering.  It was cold below for sure, like 60 or so.  Have fun this weekend.
08-23-2008, 08:38 PM,
I did my first check-out dive for students at Square Lake today, last time I dove Square Lake was under the ice back in January 2003, holy shit what a difference.

It is a nice setup they have out there though, but it is hard to beat the vis that the Crosby/Ironton pits offer.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201