Remember me
Lost Password Register

anyone want to drift/spearfish Apple River (Hudson area)?
09-12-2011, 12:43 PM,
anyone want to drift/spearfish Apple River (Hudson area)?
I was just angling in the Apple River north of Hudson, WI this past weekend (by Cedar Lake Speedway) and noticed some big suckers and a few carp cruising around. Visibility might be sketchy once you actually get in the water, but it looked doable.
I'm an experienced spearfisherman in the ocean and freshwater lakes but have never dove a small river or stream and it's something I really want to try sometime.
Is anyone up for giving it a shot with me one of these Sept. Sat. or Sundays? I can't of course do it alone since we need 2 vehicles to do a drift swim.
As for the safety of two spearfishermen drifting down a small river, I do have some ideas on how we could do that without adding any unwanted, really big and ugly 160 pound "carps" to our stringer. I've been around risky sports long enuf that I've finally taken a "safety first" attitude with everything these days.
I plan on diving with a thin wetsuit this time of the year and the extra flotation will be welcome. The stream is definitely cooler than the lakes right now.
PM me if this sounds interesting.....

I can also wait till next spring, but hitting it without rainy, flooded conditions might be impossible at that time of the year.
09-12-2011, 01:24 PM,
Re: anyone want to drift/spearfish Apple River (Hudson area)?
I would be very cautious engaging in this type of diving.  I don't know the Apple River but I know that other regional rivers have claimed the lives of divers. Low viz, unseen obstacles, current, entanglement hazards = bad mix.  I recommend seeking out someone with experience diving in this particular river.  Some of the regional rescue dive team guys might have this type of experience.
--Jason
09-12-2011, 02:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011, 02:08 PM by stick500.)
Re: anyone want to drift/spearfish Apple River (Hudson area)?
Good points Jason; getting tangled up in a current does sound like big trouble.

Anyone out there who has experience with this kind of diving that would want to go with me?

Luckily this river right now is pretty shallow and slow- a springtime run does sound pretty spooky now that you mention it, Jason.

Edit: It's a good thing the forum has that disclaimer at the top of this page!