Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge
02-05-2013, 09:12 AM,
Re: TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge
Not only did we dive from a heated cabin, complete with table and chairs, but when I returned from my dive, I had a hot turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy!  8) Misery was pretty far down the scale until I realized I couldn't feel my left hand. I had a small leak in my dry glove. Other than that it was a pretty interesting dive. Not a lot of bottom structure and what was there was covered in zebra mussels. I hadn't seen them diving Mille Lacs before.

John, nice shot on the auger! I'm sure that will make the show! I hope they air our interviews too.....
02-05-2013, 10:12 AM,
What kind of an icing challenge is this turning into?... seems every post people are chasing comfort and whining about how they like warm salty water better....  :-*  hey lets make a icing potluck and bring a hot tub... hey lets wait until its summer for the icing challenge..... (as I take this weekend off)  Big Grin
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
02-05-2013, 12:44 PM,

potluck and hot tub! I like the way you think! By the way, What was the challenge last year and who won? Or is everybody a winner now  :-*
02-05-2013, 01:34 PM,

Ahhh, Nate, one ice jump by early Feb? hell, my Ma could do that, your trash talk looses a lot of street cred when looking back, anybody can hit it hard for just one season  :-\
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
02-05-2013, 02:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013, 03:04 PM by DetectorGuy.)

Anybody can hit it hard for one season ??????... If anybody can hit it hard for one season, I wonder why nobody has hit it as hard as Nate and I since then. Of course that was back when we actually kept score and not 'everybody was a winner'. As far as losing street cred... let me know if you need me to bring that hickory switch back. We set the bar for others to follow then, and to this exact moment in time, I have not seen anyone even coming close to the stats we documented. When you can log over 18 hours of bottom time in a single ice diving season, find 50 anchors in a single ice diving season and get some ice dives in that are in the 80 to 90 minute range... then, and only then, I will accept that we were just a 'flash in the pan'. If your not the lead dog, the view never changes, so how is the view from back there? >Big Grin >Big Grin >Big Grin
02-05-2013, 04:11 PM,
stats we documented. ?

Looking forward to seeing that icing line marked off in, "half foot" increments,,,,or any computer that shows 80-90 min. of bottom time, up on Millacs

I will accept that we were just a 'flash in the pan'.

Do let me know when your icing, every weekend, lol, not starting in Feb.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
02-05-2013, 04:56 PM,

My diving is continually evolving.  8) I don't dive for street creds,  Big Grin to impress people  :Smile, or to compensate for other shortcomings in life  :o. I dive because I enjoy the freedom, peace, and tranquility of the underwater world. It really does put me in a zen like state, more so in the warm blue water.
But, when the game was on the line even your hand picked judges had to sheepishly acknowledge the winners. "work smarter, not harder"  :-*

Is your Mom coming with on the 22nd?  :-\

Attached Files
.jpg   beating chest.jpg (Size: 29.85 KB / Downloads: 4)
.jpg   beating chest.jpg (Size: 29.85 KB / Downloads: 3)
02-05-2013, 07:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM by DetectorGuy.)

As far as the stats we documented, here is a quote from a pretty decent guy on March 31, 2011:
So here are the fun numbers:
For each hole (between the two of us) we efficiently searched 70,686 square feet (or 1.62 acres). While searching each hole (between the two of us) we swam 6,355 lineal feet (or 1.2 miles).

Over the 2010/2011 ice diving season (between the two of us) we efficiently searched 1,696,464 square feet (that is one million, six hundred and ninety six thousand, four hundred and sixty four square feet for those that are challenged when it comes to numbers) or as us farm folk like to say 38.94 acres. While searching for those elusive anchors (between the two of us) we swam 152,520 lineal feet (or 28.88 miles)

That's how we roll. If you are still having a hard time dealing with it, here is a toll free number of a counselor that can help offer condolences: 1-855-738-5677    :'( As far as putting together numbers that help you put a positive spin on efficiency or what ever... I am sure you will figure something out that helps you sleep at night.   Wink

My ropes and Nates ropes are both marked in 25' increments and half of 25' = 12 1/2'. Most humans (including myself) have a 6' wingspan. Most people I know tend rope with 2 hands, so if you have the rope in both hands, stretch them out as wide as you can (that is about 6' of rope). Do that twice and that is 12' of rope (6'+6'=12'). See how close that is to 12 1/2' which is 1/2 of 25'? Then if you have a pretty good grip on common sense... You can do this trick: when you transition your hands on the rope between the first 6' length of rope and the second 6' length of rope you leave 6" of rope between. You have just added to (or shortened) the safety rope by 12 1/2'. Let me know if you want me to go over this a couple more times, as after explaining it to you several already, I am getting better at trying to help you understand the complex mathematical equations that have you so mystified ;D.

On the original challenge, I was the only person in the entire challenge who provided scanned copies of my dive logs converted to PDF files and attached to that thread about 7 pages in from the end of that 37 page thread (Read 45,714 times as of today). I also offered to download the data from both of my computers if someone could borrow me a download cable for the Tusa IQ 700 or the Suunto Vyper. I used both computers for each dive during the contest just to eliminate the questioning of my integrity. The dive I did at 81 minutes long was #174 and now I am at #281. The Tusa and the Vyper have a circular memory so on the Tusa it stores the last 60 dives and then as dives are added to memory the earliest dives drop off. The Suunto memory is variable because of the sampling rate. The more sampling rate= less dives logged. They way I have it set it stores the last 100 dives.

So with the latest three of your concerns addressed above, don't hold your breath for more explanation than that. To your last concern about letting you know when I have been ice diving every weekend, don't hold your breath waiting for me to tell you that I have... It won't be any time soon.

So tell me Terry, what else is on your mind? Tell me why yellow makes you sad >Big Grin
02-05-2013, 07:29 PM,
Oh yeah, Nate and I will be at Mille Lacs on the 23rd and I think Nate is bringing his camper out on the ice so He and I will be diving Saturday and Sunday. Our schedules are pretty much open both days so you want to sign up early for any of the ice diving seminars we will be conducting. I think the first seminar is called Ice Diving 101 1/2 where we try to teach both young ice divers (Joe) and old ice divers (Terry) how to be comfortable when ice diving ;D
See you all on the ice... John
02-05-2013, 07:33 PM,
To your last concern about letting you know when I have been ice diving every weekend, don't hold your breath waiting for me to tell you that I have... It won't be any time soon.

Like I said, anyone can hit it hard, one season. Mom wont be joining us on Millacs she's looking at 6' of dirt. Is fun to snap that hickory switch, though. See you on Millacs, dudes!      Trinity