Remember me
Lost Password Register

TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge
02-06-2013, 07:43 PM,
Re: TRINITY'S 3rd annual 2012/2013 icing challenge
ok now this makes sense, Smile

with your lp180cuf do you remember how much psi you had left at the end of that 90min dive?
[/quote]

130 lp,  a lot, probably 5- 800 or so. The main thing to remember is that these were shallow dives when doing your math  ;D. I would have to check John's dive log for the specifics  8)
As far as records go,( que up freddie  ;D) it was my personal best, I think it was 93min  ???  It was far from barren, loads of booty

Attached Files
.jpg   CharlieSheenWinning.jpg (Size: 53.14 KB / Downloads: 9)
.jpg   CharlieSheenWinning.jpg (Size: 53.14 KB / Downloads: 9)
02-06-2013, 08:13 PM,
What do the Neil Young lyrics "It's better to burn out than fade away" mean?

It's a reference to a candle or a fire.  Burning out is a metaphor for living an exciting, ambitious life; one where you expend all of your energy early on, possibly even dying young like many rock stars.  Fading away would be to simply live safely, not take any risks, etc. Basically living a long but boring life that doesn't impact anyone else---- David Ray Carter

When I commit to a task (no matter what the task) I am in 100%. Doing things half assed just doesn't work for me. When that task is done... Its done, and I look for the next task. If there is no competition, I can relax and not be so driven to succeed. I chose not to get get in on any of the "re-matches" because there was no way to do better than first place. Defending a title is not where I want to be. The agenda on the first challenge seemed like it was pretty straight forward - most anchors & most bottom time.  What have the challenges been for the last two seasons since the first tragedy challenge? The only real contest I have seen from the 2nd annual and 3rd annual is the smack talk contest.
Just seems like a feeble attempt at reliving the glory days (or gory days depending on which side of the winners circle you are on). So let me know when you folks decide what your good at and I will watch from the sidelines as you all declare each other winners.  Wink
02-06-2013, 10:14 PM,
lol isanti pumping up the ego there? did i read something about the first challenge 3 years ago then reliving glory days??  Wink

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
02-07-2013, 05:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 05:55 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Actually, I'm just cashing in my prize a little at a time -> BRAGGING RIGHTS. When you ladies thought a $10 prize would be too much, bragging rights was the easy solution ???. When Team Gilligan wussed out on the trophies and "let me take you diving on my mini yacht", All that was left was BRAGGING RIGHTS.  8)
I've got plenty of ego to share... I have been just holding back cause, I didn't know how much of it you can handle. Wink Maybe Team G should take up underwater basket weaving or something else where you can all be winners.  >Big Grin ;D >Big Grin

As long as i am sharing my ego with the less fortunate... That 14 minute video Nate and I shot under the ice on Saturday was posted has 722 views in the last 48 hours
02-07-2013, 07:57 AM,
Ha last I checked a guy called Trinity is putting on the challenge.. I dont recall any team prizes or sponsorship...  :Smile
-John Calhoun
02-07-2013, 08:48 AM,
were the ?H.. you spam up 700 views in 24hrs?
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
02-07-2013, 09:53 AM,
I know I talk a lot of smack on your thread. It is all in good fun. I am glad you guys are so active, Ice dive so much,and have a great time doing so. 8)I thoroughly enjoyed competing in the first challenge. I think it is great that we can share our experiences, and learn from them.

Which brings me to the experience I had, when John and I dove last Saturday. When we cut our hole, it was relatively close to the pressure ridge. It was not good clear ice. As you know, we routinely remove the ice from the hole. With the bad ice, and the close proximity to the open crack, we ended up pushing the ice under. it was not an issue until John was on his second dive, while I was tending. Towards the end of his dive, I was not feeling any movement on the line. I went to give him an okay signal, and the line went tight. It was snagged somewhere and I could feel nothing on the end of the line. I gave it probably about 1 min., which seemed more like 5 min., and was getting ready to go in after him. We had relaxed our protocol on this particular dive. Since my dry suit had leaked I had taken it off. The initial plan was he was just going to shoot some footage close to the hole. So I was freaking out pretty good for that 1 min. knowing it was going to take me close to 5 min. to go in after him. Then some bubbles started coming up on of the dive hole and the line became untangled. What a relief. one of the blocks we had pushed under had refrozen to the surface ice and our line became wedged under it.

Lesson learned. We have safety protocols for a reason. I will remain suited up and ready to be the safety diver if I have a diver in the water, even if I am wet and cold. Be safe and have fun!
02-07-2013, 11:04 AM,
   This years challenge isn't about, anchors, or time underwater, or money, or ice scoopers, or all the glory, or even the prizes (no doubt my friends, Nate (Shooter) and John (Detectorguy), last years winners, would say, "so Terry, it isn't about the prizes,,,, how is that any different than, say, last year?" This year's challenge is about the, good times, the laughs, the blizzard adventures, the postings, the pics, (even those stupid, mini-me pics) the cold beers, (or chaw) the found junk (or treasure) that dandy good grouper of Nate's, grilled out on the ice, the shared knowledge of what we learned from each other, and NOT hooking fisherman, least not ones with bad ashma.

That was the "mission statement" lol,  of the second challenge.

Hello Everyone,
                             Seems its that time of year again, when the visibility is best, maybe divers need to get put to the test, myself, I'd rather snuggle up to a nice warm,,,, ok, enough poem, for right now anyway.                 
                             So thinking it might be fun to do some videos underwater, seems everyone (other then me) is packing a little Go- Pro camera now and there sure are some funny videos on line under the ice, sounds like a good spot to start. We went out to Tonka and Harriet hoping for some ice but all we got was, ice water,,,36 degrees, brrrr, we all agreed we hadn't yet gotten our icing hide yet. It seemed colder then any ice dive in a long time. Hopefully ice this year wont be anywhere near as bogus as last year was. Going out this Sat. let me know if you'd like to jump,,,,,,,Trinity

That is the "mission statement" ? of this years challenge.   

I've been jumping almost 33 years, the reason I started the "challenge" at all, (as selfish as it sounds) was to see I had multiple people ( that I knew) to dive with in the winter time, on a regular basis. Summertime any of us can (and do) jump alone, if we want. The smaller the group icing the higher the risk factor, with just two people, if the second has to go into the hole now you've got, no main tender, no safety tender, no tender or anyone at all, on the surface. I've done it, and realize you can drown in a sink you can't pull your head out of, but 200' from the hole,  its "potentially" a pretty scary scenario.
                   "Challenge" was probably the wrong term, hope I haven't kept any ice guppies from wanting to join us, with, "we dive alone" or all the smack talk that goes on these icing challenges. My friend Mike Daust, (whom Sunday I run to Tobaggo with) certified 6 ice guppies last weekend up at Crosby, I'd like to invite any of them who read this to come ice jump with us if they'd like. We dive alone, (the G-men and Isanti normally does too) but I'd be happy to dive with them, as I'm sure the rest of the guys would too. All we ask is you show up with and icing certification from ANY agency, we'll provide the rest.

Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; 952-201-3029&nbsp; (cell)
02-07-2013, 02:11 PM,
Yeah actually ice diving is a good outlet to become a self sufficient solo diver... you have the umbilical of safety with the ability to have assistance if you need it... but the freedom to not get stuck following your buddy who just wants to blow bubble rings on the bottom and stick his hands in muck...  im fine with multiple ice divers on a line if theres a wreck or something of known interest.. I guess im even fine if im diving with a less experienced ice diver too.... but at some point it is like shooter was saying theres nothing better than the feeling of solitude alone at the bottom of a frozen lake sealing everyone else out.
-John Calhoun
02-07-2013, 06:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013, 06:23 PM by DetectorGuy.)
I agree with the G-men that its all good! We get bored acting civilized with each other, and we get carried away more times than not with the smack talk. I know I push the smack talk right up to the edge and probably past the edge depending on who you talk to. It does pass the time between diving. The biggest thing is to have a good time enjoy the sport. I have only done a tandem ice dive twice, and I agree its a great way to physically show someone (who is already ice certified) how different people do stuff under the ice. Some people hold a loop of the safety rope in their hand, some people let go of it and let it drag (if their hands are full of anchors) Some people swim fast, and some frog kick and glide. Its all good to see different ways of accomplishing the same thing. I give Team Gilligan a lot of crap, but I am very happy to call them my buddies. Smile          <<<<<<<<<group hug>>>>>>>>>>>