Remember me
Lost Password Register

'17 Speargun Stamp would allow taking pike and cats
06-03-2016, 08:30 AM,
RE: '17 Speargun Stamp would allow taking pike and cats
Just a quick update for anyone who is interested; Apparently the wheels of legislation turn slowly!

The HF 227 Spearfisishing bill is still sitting in the Mining and Outdoor Recreation Committee- it has not yet been introduced this year for further action.

I'll keep checking and will post if anything happens yet this summer.
06-03-2016, 01:57 PM,
good to know, we were just talking about this among several fishermen the other day. lots of people want to try hand at spearing northern pike. its kinda an underutilized nuisance fish. that would be fun to spear.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
03-03-2017, 09:55 AM,
I'm still watching this.

Author of the bill State Rep. Mike Sundin just sent out updates on the bills he is working on.

Maybe this spring they will make a call on this!

From Mike:
HF 293 – Scuba gear and spear gun use to take fish: I’ve been approached by fishermen who would like the state of Minnesota to explore the possibility of spearing fish with a spear gun while using scuba gear, similar to bow hunting or handheld spearing as we can do now. The bill is still awaiting a hearing.
03-03-2017, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017, 01:18 PM by 12jason.)
[quote='stick500' pid='41260' dateline='1488556550']
You know as long as this is a possibility, we should push to open it up for walleye. Even if it was just a short season for a speargun. I'd totally buy a license for this. When i lived in Washington, the DNR had a 2 week season for ling cod by speargun.  It was very very popular amongst divers and  in reality the "take" is very small when compared to regular fishing methods. But it made for a fun diving activity and some tasty food post-dive.  (And its extra revenue for the State, and of course the dive shop for the speargun) --And you know Padi will also stick its hand into the pot for this with their new "Padi Walleye Spearfishing Cert) only $299 for class plus material and plastic card fees .  (lol)

But seriously, the GLSP ought to invite these state representative  to speak at the UMSAT Show about this topic and the new bill for Minnesota. I would bet they could find support and interest amongst divers on this topic, rather than just more speakers on dive trips around the world. Finally something important to benefit divers in MN.

I'm still watching this.

Author of the bill State Rep. Mike Sundin just sent out updates on the bills he is working on.

Maybe this spring they will make a call on this!

From Mike:
HF 293 – Scuba gear and spear gun use to take fish: I’ve been approached by fishermen who would like the state of Minnesota to explore the possibility of spearing fish with a spear gun while using scuba gear, similar to bow hunting or handheld spearing as we can do now. The bill is still awaiting a hearing.
[/quote]
04-05-2017, 12:30 PM,
Actually on some lakes with problems..like lake lilacs and current pike problem.state could open it up to scuba spearing as a form of population control and help the current problem...although I doubt with as large a lake as milacs it would change anything....but for sure.id support a law in favor of spearfishing stamp.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
01-31-2019, 05:40 PM,
It's been a long time since I've checked on this bill, but as far as I can tell as of today it just disappeared and nothing was ever done.

I also checked the '19 fishing regs on the page with new laws/changes, and again nothing.

Oh well.