Remember me
Lost Password Register

Headed to Cancun... recommended shops? sites?
02-25-2005, 07:35 AM,
Re: Headed to Cancun... recommended shops? sites?
javelindan, yes, the cenotes are available for non certified cave divers.  They will most likely be cavern dives but I can tell you from freediving in them that it would really be worth the dive even at that.  The scenery around the cenotes (jungle) is great,  the setting is worth seeing whether a person got in the water or not.  A note about the cenote diving.. I wore a 3m suit, the water in the cenotes is about 73 deg. so a bit cool compared to the ocean at 78 - 81 or so.  'course, I wore a 3m suit in the ocean every time too.. in fact, next year I'm leaving the 1.5m at home.  Just which cenote to go to is a tough call... I've been to 3 and each one was different and each one was great in it's way.  Dos Ojos with it's stalactites/stalagmites and sun filtering through the jungle vegetation was very good.  Casa Cenote was the 1st one I was to and it was mostly rock and mangrove roots, super clear, and hardly anyone else there.  I still enjoy going there (it's free for freedivers)  And then Yal Kul (well, I guess that was a lagoon) was really just a place for snorkeling.. it was only about 6' deep.  I'd say to do some searches and ask about the cenotes.. try not to pass them up for diving.. Dos Ojos would be my recomendation but I'm sure you can glean a lot more info from people who have visited other cenotes.

Also, sorry... I guess the ferry to Isle Mujeres leaves outta Puerto Juarez.. not Morelos.  and there are day trips ferries from cun to isle to.
Cold and dark down there huh?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Headed to Cancun... recommended shops? sites? - by freedivernd - 02-25-2005, 07:35 AM